Well I plunked the money down at got the Highlander: Immortal Ediiton

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Apr 16, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I never bought any earlier release so I hope this one looks decent. I haven't had time to watch it, probably tonight. Another reason i bought it was for the 3 queen videos.

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Saw it a CC today for $22 bucks. Didn't pick it up but the packaging looks pretty robust.

JohnG

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Ya I paid $24 at suncoast, was on sale.

4. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Got mine in the mail last night. The transfer is definitely superior to the earlier release, both in audio and video. The movie only version is only $9.99 so you paid $22 for the tin and the Queen CD with 3 songs.

For me the extra was worth it as it is a highlight to my collection....one of my all time favorite movies.

5. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

For those of you who purchased The Immortal Edition - how did yu like the enclosed advertisement for the Highlander - Season 1 DVD boxset. Looks pretty nice - 8 discs (22 episodes), 5.1/2.0 DD- all keepcase - $129.95 (MSRP).
    • Slate Button : newley created on-camera commentray from Exec-Producer Bill Panzer offering insights on the making of each episode.
    • Watcher Chronicles Button: opens biographical and historical information on each episode's mortals, Immortals, weaponry and the Wathcers themselves.
    • Q Button: takes you straight to the Quickening.
    • Blooper Reel: a Highlander classic.
    • Behind-the-Scenes: original promo created to launch Highlander.
    • CD-ROM of Season One Scripts: complete collection of Season One in Final Draft form.

6. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I watched the Immortal Edition last Friday, and was definitely pleased with the quality.
    I also have the Highlander - Season One, and it looks great! Can't wait for season two!

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I picked up my Immortal Edition this evening at Futureshop for $34.99 CDN plus taxes. I have to say, I like the case. Anchor Bay's been making some cool cases lately- Evil Dead:Book of the Dead and now this one. Can't wait to watch it.
    As for the season 1 box, I want it too, but will wait and see if it ever goes retail. I'm in no hurry for it...yet.[​IMG]

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I picked the Highlander:Immortal Edition today at Future Shop for $32.99 (sorry easterners!). I love the tin case, MUCH better than the Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition. I noticed a few things which are really awesome:
    1) The Dolby Digital "Tomb" trailer (I think it's called
    2) ALL the extras are Anamorphic, even the 4:3 Queen music videos.
    I'm just confused as to why the videos are letterboxed AND windowboxed! There apprears to be a 16:9 video "Princes of the Universe" which has black bars all the way around, instead of making it proper 16:9 rez. Anyone know why this was?
    The booklet was nice too, even mentioned Freddy Murcury's death in '91. And I loved the original poster art in the booklet!
    Very nice job Anchor Bay!! Hope you can get more Higlander material! [​IMG]
    Chris.

9. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm that the version on these new discs is the Director's Cut? I saw no mention of it on the packaging, but in a set called "Ultimate" I would hope it is.

10. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    Although I have only watched the beginning of the new DVD, I can safely say it is the director's cut since during the wrestling match at the beginning of the movie at Madison Square Gardern, they show clips of scenes of Scottish Clan battles from back when he was in Scotland hundreds of years ago. They didn't do that in the theatrical release in the US.

George

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Immortal edition, so I opted for the $9.99 version. Now if it was $15 for the Immortal Edition, I would not have thought twice about getting the IE.

12. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

My g/f just picked this one up for us last night. We didn't have chance to watch it (we decided to watch "Hedwig" instead--highly recommended btw--) but I did get a chance to do some scene comparisons.
    From what I can tell, the new transfer walks all over the old Republican disk. The sound is fuller and has more punch to it as well. Great job AB [​IMG]
    She picked it for $22 at a local BB and used a $10 gift certificate. [​IMG]
    Todd B

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, it IS the proper cut of the movie. The only real one (For some reason someone at Fox during the late 70s/mid 80's felt the need to cut films for no good reason, see RHPS as well)

They didn't have an anamorphic source for the Princes of the Universe video. It was probably finished on tape. That's why it's windowboxed.

14. Brian Olson

Brian Olson Extra

15. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

But Patrick...
    The picture quality on the original version was one of the
    worst ever. Even on my crappy television, I was thinking,
    "This is unwatchable," and I have only said that once before,
    for Outland.
    The original version is not worth getting for free with
    how bad it looks.
    Mark

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think Patrick was talking about the cheaper one-disc edition of the new Anchor Bay version. At least I hope so.

M.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yup! I didn't think the Queen videos, extras, fancy case warranted the extra $13.

BTW, I have the ol' crappy Republic DVD and the better LD version of this film.

18. Bryan

Bryan Stunt Coordinator

I guess it's a matter of how much you like Queen and the movie.

Freddie was and still is my favorite male singer and Bryan (Brian?) May rocks! To me, the videos they made almost always seem to fall a little short, almost like they were made on a tight budget (visualy). But the sound mix and the quality of the older video was great. I wish I had been able to see them more than just the one time in concert.

The movie gets watched tommorrow night.

19. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

It was great to watch the film again. The villain is exceptional.

All the f/x shots are incredibly grainy, but love the visual design of the film. Would've been nice to have retrospective documentary from cast and crew cos I hardly listen to commentary tracks.

20. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

I like the disc very much ,a vast improvement on the old release!!!