What's new

Well I plunked the money down at got the Highlander: Immortal Ediiton (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I never bought any earlier release so I hope this one looks decent. I haven't had time to watch it, probably tonight. Another reason i bought it was for the 3 queen videos.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Got mine in the mail last night. The transfer is definitely superior to the earlier release, both in audio and video. The movie only version is only $9.99 so you paid $22 for the tin and the Queen CD with 3 songs.

For me the extra was worth it as it is a highlight to my collection....one of my all time favorite movies.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who purchased The Immortal Edition - how did yu like the enclosed advertisement for the Highlander - Season 1 DVD boxset. Looks pretty nice - 8 discs (22 episodes), 5.1/2.0 DD- all keepcase - $129.95 (MSRP).
  • Slate Button : newley created on-camera commentray from Exec-Producer Bill Panzer offering insights on the making of each episode.
  • Watcher Chronicles Button: opens biographical and historical information on each episode's mortals, Immortals, weaponry and the Wathcers themselves.
  • Q Button: takes you straight to the Quickening.
  • Blooper Reel: a Highlander classic.
  • Behind-the-Scenes: original promo created to launch Highlander.
  • CD-ROM of Season One Scripts: complete collection of Season One in Final Draft form.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I watched the Immortal Edition last Friday, and was definitely pleased with the quality.
I also have the Highlander - Season One, and it looks great! Can't wait for season two!

Chris M

Second Unit
I picked the Highlander:Immortal Edition today at Future Shop for $32.99 (sorry easterners!). I love the tin case, MUCH better than the Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition. I noticed a few things which are really awesome:
1) The Dolby Digital "Tomb" trailer (I think it's called
2) ALL the extras are Anamorphic, even the 4:3 Queen music videos.
I'm just confused as to why the videos are letterboxed AND windowboxed! There apprears to be a 16:9 video "Princes of the Universe" which has black bars all the way around, instead of making it proper 16:9 rez. Anyone know why this was?
The booklet was nice too, even mentioned Freddy Murcury's death in '91. And I loved the original poster art in the booklet!
Very nice job Anchor Bay!! Hope you can get more Higlander material! :D
Chris.

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Can anyone confirm that the version on these new discs is the Director's Cut? I saw no mention of it on the packaging, but in a set called "Ultimate" I would hope it is.

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Although I have only watched the beginning of the new DVD, I can safely say it is the director's cut since during the wrestling match at the beginning of the movie at Madison Square Gardern, they show clips of scenes of Scottish Clan battles from back when he was in Scotland hundreds of years ago. They didn't do that in the theatrical release in the US.

George

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Immortal edition, so I opted for the $9.99 version. Now if it was $15 for the Immortal Edition, I would not have thought twice about getting the IE.

Todd_B

Second Unit
My g/f just picked this one up for us last night. We didn't have chance to watch it (we decided to watch "Hedwig" instead--highly recommended btw--) but I did get a chance to do some scene comparisons.
From what I can tell, the new transfer walks all over the old Republican disk. The sound is fuller and has more punch to it as well. Great job AB :emoji_thumbsup:
She picked it for $22 at a local BB and used a $10 gift certificate. :)
Todd B

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it IS the proper cut of the movie. The only real one (For some reason someone at Fox during the late 70s/mid 80's felt the need to cut films for no good reason, see RHPS as well)

They didn't have an anamorphic source for the Princes of the Universe video. It was probably finished on tape. That's why it's windowboxed.

Can anyone confirm that the version on these new discs is the Director's Cut? I saw no mention of it on the packaging, but in a set called "Ultimate" I would hope it is.
Yes, it is the director's cut of Highlander. This disc is a no-brainer upgrade regardless of which "flavor" you choose to buy. Thanks Anchor Bay!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
But Patrick...
The picture quality on the original version was one of the
worst ever. Even on my crappy television, I was thinking,
"This is unwatchable," and I have only said that once before,
for Outland.
The original version is not worth getting for free with
how bad it looks.
Mark

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think Patrick was talking about the cheaper one-disc edition of the new Anchor Bay version. At least I hope so.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yup! I didn't think the Queen videos, extras, fancy case warranted the extra $13.

BTW, I have the ol' crappy Republic DVD and the better LD version of this film.

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's a matter of how much you like Queen and the movie.

Freddie was and still is my favorite male singer and Bryan (Brian?) May rocks! To me, the videos they made almost always seem to fall a little short, almost like they were made on a tight budget (visualy). But the sound mix and the quality of the older video was great. I wish I had been able to see them more than just the one time in concert.

The movie gets watched tommorrow night.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
It was great to watch the film again. The villain is exceptional.

All the f/x shots are incredibly grainy, but love the visual design of the film. Would've been nice to have retrospective documentary from cast and crew cos I hardly listen to commentary tracks.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The disc is certainly a huge improvement. To be honest, I'd never seen a half-decent print before, either at the movie theatre or on a TV broadcast either.

Have they digitally cleaned it up? I could swear that on previous viewings, wires were clearly visible at a few points towards the end of the movie.

Incidentally, the term 'director's cut' is a bit confusing for Europeans, because as far as I'm aware, it's the only version we've ever seen. The movie was trimmed for US release only, as far as I'm aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks