What's new

Well, I just made my first non-region-1 purchase... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I picked up Buffy Seasons 3 and 4, Angel Seasons 1 and 2, The Final Countdown (I know, I know ... I just love this movie), and EWS: Uncut. Many thanks to EzyDVD.com.au. Hopefully, I'll get them by next weekend. It would be a very Buffy weekend...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My son, your first purchase was a wise one (tho frankly, I would have waited on Season 3, it's out in 3 months or so :))
The Joss smiles upon you!
Lama Lama Ding Dong!

YANG

Screenwriter
Welcome to the muLti-region free zone,DANIEL!
Where you will find releases that can be comparable to the U.S release...
I am sure that you will have no problem with ASIAN NTSC R0 releases...i am wondering,are you using a multi-color system projector for your collection viewing?Most of the other members have problem playing PAL softwares in the STATES and CANADA.

For your info,besides those TV series that you had mentioned,also lookout for R2 release of the WEST WINGS SERIES and C.S.I first season boxset.
R4 recent release of BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY comes with DTS tracks!

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Jeff: I couldn't wait 3 months! I've been dying for the last few weeks ever since I finished season 2. I figure I can watch Season 3 and sell it on eBay at break-even before it comes out for Region 1.

Yang: I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "multi-color system projector". Currently, I am feeding an S-VIDEO (soon to be component) signal from my hacked JVC XV-FA95GD DVD player into a Quadscan Pro video scaler which is connected via an HD15 cable to an NEC LT150 projector. The JVC DVD player has the same NTSC->PAL chip as the Malata and the NEC LT150 is PAL compatible. I hope this helps. I've only watched 1 Region 2 DVD (animated) so far and it played flawlessly.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
IF the projector is PAL compatible, make sure you let the player know you have a multisystem television so you get the full PAL resolution

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I'm eternally happy that I have multi tv-system and multiregion capability. I couldn't imagine being forced to do with just one region. It's really nice, to have the freedom to buy whatever dvd you want anywhere in the world :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Welcome to the club! I have only three non-region-1 DVDs sor far, but one of them is the uncut version of Eyes Wide Shut. It's one of my favorite discs.

It just feels so good to be region-free. Knowing that I can buy any DVD from anywhere in the world and not have to worry about restrictions from the studios is a really comforting thought.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd also like to welcome you to the multi-region free club, Daniel. You made the right choice in picking a JVC multi-region DVD player. I'm really overjoyed with mine. EzyDVD seems to be a good company to do business with. Another R4 company I've dealt with is Atlantic DVD. The two main R2 companies that I've purchased from are BlackStar and Amazon UK. All of these companies have provided me with excellant service.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Thanks for the support guys. It seems like Region 4 discs are the same as Region 2 discs, except without some censorship (minor) and at much cheaper prices. I suppose the shipping time to the U.S. is a bit longer though...

Can anyone recommend some reputable and inexpensive online retailers for French and Belgian titles?

Thanks again!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mainstream stuff?
not really

Battle Royale SE will be one in 2 weeks when it comes out
Other than that, it really depends on personal taste

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"All That Jazz";), IMHO since heaven only knows when Fox will get around to putting it out in R1(Apparently some unspecified date in 2003).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Jean De Florette and Manon Of The Spring are available in terrific anamorphic transfers in R2. The US R1 releases are awful.
Jeff

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Btw, are there any "must-have" Region 2 only discs? =)
Yes, The French The Scent of Green Papaya and Cyclo. ( yes you can get the P+S R1 Scent and HK Cyclo - but they are inferior)
Rosetta and La Promesse La Promesse is in R1 from New Yorker films but the R2 includes Rosetta !
All the Bergman's
Ivan's Childhood
Blue
White
Red
Eureka ( although evidence says get the R2 Japan NTSC )
Check out more comparisons at:
Link Removed

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone recommend some reputable and inexpensive online retailers for French and Belgian titles?
This may (must be?) in Jeff K.'s FAQ, but I use cinestore.com
Do a search on cinestore in this forum for more info.
Must have disks -- boy where do I start?
Croupier R2-UK
Truffaut DVDs from MK2 (R2-France)
Rough Magic R2-France
See Gary's site for much more.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks