What's new

well, i have the receiver. now i just need a speaker set up that costs around $1,000 (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i just got the Denon AVR-2802 receiver, which everyone tells me is a great piece of equipment. now i just need a speaker set up to go with it. if possible, i'd like to keep the cost right around $1000. what do you all recommend?

i was looking at the R30 and R50 systems at polkaudio.com and they look pretty good. i really like the idea of having floor speakers as my mains, because i'm a huge music fan. it was also recommended that if i go with one of those Polk systems, that i should step the Center up to the CSi30, and maybe bump the receiver up as well, although i don't know if i need THAT much bass. i also want to check out Paradigm...do they have good speaker "packages" or set ups for around $1,000?

the only thing that makes me hesitant about those systems is that all the promotion info emphasizes that it's a "loud" system, and that it can be "turned way up." volume isn't my main priority (although it is a factor). i'm really into getting a rich, full, clear sound. should i shell out the extra bucks for the RTi28 system....even though the mains aren't floors?

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
also - i'm definitely going to audition all of the speakers myself before i buy. i'm just looking for some good recommendations.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
AV123, the Rocket people are releasing a new system that looks to be a real contender in the under $1000.00 class. It features four identical monitors, and a center with an 8" sub all done up in Cherry stained Birch veneer. I think they will be available in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to checking this system out. I have some of the other speakers from AV123, and have never been disappointed. There are some pictures posted of their demo model on their Forum.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
where exactly could i find pictures or info on this system? i went to the forum, but wasn't sure where to search

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Mike,
Apparently the pictures aren't up yet, on the AV123 site, but someone will be here shortly to point you to a thread where the demo pics are.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Here's a link to some photos of the ELT system from AV123's Dallas Road Show: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=elt

I believe they are currently accepting preorders on the ELT system ($899 + shipping) and preorders will receive free shipping. I'm not absolutely positive on the free shipping part, I received a newsletter the other week and I think that's what it said but I've already deleted it. I'm sure someone will confirm this shortly.

People that heard the ELT in Dallas said they sound fantastic and will do great with music and movies.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Thanks Alex. I asked Bruce to chime in as our resident search expert, but you beat him to it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I was at the Dallas road show and Mark demonstrated this system, which was set up in his suite (as you can sort of tell from the pictures). It appears as though they have a real winner here, as it sounds simply great at $900. Plus the cabinetwork is much better than what I’ve seen in this price range—it really looks good. BTW, some of the photos are a bit more bright than they are in real life, so take that into account.

Of course in the end, it is your ears that determine what you should buy, but for myself, I have not heard as good a sounding system in this price range. I’d say that this is a bit more forward than you might expect from some of the other Rocket speakers, but not unpleasantly so. And perhaps a bit more punch in the sub than you might expect.

Everyone that I spoke to at the road show was similarly impressed. And we were all listening to some pretty fine speakers otherwise—the Rocket 750s and 550s, both of the Onix Reference speakers and a couple of the MBL models. Of course all of these are in a completely different class—I’m only mentioning these so that you are aware that we were not impressed because we had listened to some white van specials just prior to the ELTs. :D

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
where would i go if i wanted to hear these speakers?

also, is the sound of that system comparable to the sound of something like:

Polk R30 System - $999.70 for system

Front: R30
Center: CSi20
Surround: R15
Subwoofer: PSW202

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Unfortunately, the ELT isn't quite available yet. It should be within the next several weeks. I believe the first shipment is currently in transit from the PRC to Colorado.

AV123 is an internet direct company so you won't be able to go to the store down the block and hear them. You'll have to wait for someone near you to get them (the AV123 forum will be a good place to find out who has them) or order them for yourself. AV123 has a 30-day trial period during which you can return them at any time, with no hassles for a full refund. If you don't like them you do have to pay return shipping but then nothing beats an in-home audition either. They provide better customer service than ANY business I have ever dealt with, with the possible exception of SVS.

I honestly can't say how they would compare to the Polks as I haven't heard the ELT yet or the Polks you mentioned. I do currently own speakers from their Rocket line and have previously owned and sold Polks. Knowing that the ELT will have similar tweeters to those in the Rocket 150s and 300s which I own (and in the case of the mids, share drivers) I think the ELT will compare very favorably with the Polk system you mentioned. I think it is likely they will compare favorably with systems costing 1.5-2X as much at B&M stores. Mark Schifter's (the president of AV123) idea behind the system is that it be the defining system in the industry at the price range. Being somewhat familiar with what he's done so far I don't think you can lose on this system.

However, please be aware that I am a biased Rocket owner and that speakers are as subjective as food.

Good luck,

Alex

Lee M T

Second Unit
How about going with Athena Technologies. You would have to wait on the sub for a little bit, because that will put you over a grand, but the mains have very nice bass on thier own to tide you over.

AS-F2 Floors = $599/Pair
AS-C1 Center = $179/Each
AS-B1 Rears = $79/Each

That would be a very nice setup. The sub is another $399 for the powered 10".

Happy hunting...
Lee

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I second the recommendation on the Athena speakers , available at any best buy, also if the 2802 does not pan out you could get a Harmon Kardon AVR 225 for 350.00 from Jandr music world. Read reviews of the receiver at Cnet.com and the speakers at ecoustics.com . These are the best speakers I have heard anywhere near their price and the HK receiver is also the nicest piece I have heard under $500.00
Chris

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely go w/ the RTi or older RT line over the R line. I just got RT800's, which have been replaced by the RTi70. They are a VERY noticable step up from the R50's. I'd look into an RTi70/RTi28/CSi30 setup for around $1000 not including sub (all new from Circuit City). You could stick it out w/ the RTi70's running full range until you pick up a sub. You might also consider RTi38 mains and go ahead and get a sub. This would probably yeild more pleasing HT results, but might cause a sligt hit in music listening.

I also think there are better subs out there in the price range than the polks. I'd look at the Sony WM500 and the WX700.

Hope this helps :)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
this is great information, guys. i'll be sure to look into all these suggestions. i only wish it were more conveniant to take a listen to all these great speakers!

more suggestions welcome!

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
quick question, which probably belongs in the Basics forum, but since we're talking about the AV123 ELT system i suppose i'll just ask here. i see that this system is a 5.1 package...how exactly is that different from a 6.1? if my receiver is 6.1 or 7.1 - does that mean this package won't work? or does it simply mean that the package consists of 5 speakers (enough for a 5.1 set up), but i can always add on...?

also, how is this system supposed to hold up as far as music listening goes? that'll be my primary use, and i want to make sure that i get a really nice sound from it.

one more thing (sorry)...about how much would the return shipping cost if for some reason i wasn't happy with it. i wish i could listen to it for myself, but a month-long home audition is a hell of a deal...almost worth doing if the return cost isn't bad. i just really don't think i'd ever have an opportunity to hear these things.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Regarding the 5.1, the package includes all the speakers you need to begin with. If your receiver is 6.l or 7.1, I believe the 2802 is 6.1, you just need to add another speaker to be able to take advantage of DTS-ES. FWIW, there is very little software actually encoded with this format although the receiver can matrix the surround channels to simulate a back channel.

I'll let those that heard it in Dallas say how they sound for music. The impressions I've read have all been positive. If they sound anything like the Rocket 150s which they are most similar to in that line, they should sound great.

Return shipping, not sure there. It would depend where you're located. They do have very good rates through Yellow, I would guess around $100 +/-. I'm sure if you contact Steve or Sean, they could tell you exactly how much.

Alex

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
The Polk RTi 70's are on sale for $600 at Circuit City and Crutchfield right now. Pair them with the CSi 40 (on sale for $300) and you've got a VERY nice front stage for $900! hold out for some surrounds or splurge a little over your budget...

If you do go for the Polks I HIGHLY reccomend the CSi40 over the CSi30. it is quite a difference!

EDIT: I'd actually go for a sub before I'd go for surrounds, you can use any speaker for surrounds and be happy. The sub is more important, in my book anyway...

good luck and have fun auditioning!

george king

Supporting Actor
If I were you, I would talk to Brian at Link Removed and see what he could do for you. He will custom build you the speaker set, in a standard finish of your choice.

He is currently running a special - 5 RAD 1 speakers and an 8" subwoofer for $750. Upgrade the sub, to a 10" and you are at about $1K probably.

Brian's craftsmanship is first rate, and he is a great guy to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks