What's new

Well, I hate to say it, but I am now a believer... Receiver vs. Separates (1 Viewer)

Bryan Salzman

Auditioning
Will I see the same results when I upgrade my YAMAHA RXV-2095 receiver to a ROTEL RMB-1095 Amp and just use the YAMAHA as the pre amp?? I hope so!!!

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I bid on a couple of pre-pros at Audiogon, then decided to take the plunge with the Rotel 1066. Yes, the HT is better, but it's the two channel that really cooks on the thing.
You'd get an even better 2 channel result for less money if you just add a good stereo preamp between the receiver and the power amp and bypass the receiver completely for 2 channel sources.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
You'd get an even better 2 channel result for less money if you just add a good stereo preamp between the receiver and the power amp and bypass the receiver completely for 2 channel sources.
Couldn't agree more Craig.:emoji_thumbsup: You get the best of both worlds by not sacrificing on an entry level prepro but yet getting awesome HT thru the receiver and music thru a good stereo preamp. That's my next move! :D

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Me too, and congrats!

I think that a receiver around the 100WPC range benefits from an external amp. I also think it is less critical with some of the flagship type receivers that have more robust internal amps.

Dave Jewett

Agent
What about adding a 2 channel preamp to an existing receiver, using the receiver's amps? I have an HK AVR 520, and would like to improve my 2 channel performance... what's the best method to accomplish this? I'd like to use my existing speakers (Swan Diva 4.1's) but still be able to have good performance for both music and HT.

Dave

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
John, Congrats on the new addition. I know exactly how you fell. I recently added 4 Adcom GFA-535 stereo amps. I bi-amped my mains and center with 3 and used the 4th to power the surrounds. Although rated at 60wpc, they were bench tested at nearly 80wpc.

The sound quality after adding the Adcom's was substantial. Especially at the higher volumes, the crispness, detial and mid-bass punch is amazing. I am currently using my Marantz receiver as the pre/pro and plan a dedicated pre/pro sometime within the year.

Enjoy! :emoji_thumbsup:

Peace Out~:D

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Dave,

I recently did exactly what you're contemplating: improved 2 channel performance while using the same speakers for both HT and music. Adding a 2 channel preamp is a very good idea and certainly well worth doing because the preamp section of the AVR520 is not going to be anywhere near as good as a separate music preamp.

The other thing you can consider doing is to get a quality integrated amplifier and connect your 2-channel music sources directly to it. This is the option I went with, mainly because I didn't want my receiver--an AVR320--in the signal chain for 2-channel. There is simply no comparison and I feel like I'm truly hearing my speakers for the first time. I'm off the merry-go-round now. Except for power cords, power conditioners, vibration isolation accessories and such of course.

:D

Dave Jewett

Agent
Eujin: I like the idea of the integrated amp versus just a preamp... my HK is excellent for HT but is somewhat lacking for 2-channel. What did you end up getting? There are some nice Jolida integrated amps at Audiogon, I'm thinking this might be a decent way to get into tubes... :)

Dave

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Dave: it appears that we are on similar wavelengths :)

I came this close to pulling the trigger on a couple of Jolidas. For the tube integrateds, I was thinking of the 202A and 302B. I also considered the 1501 hybrid integrated. In the end, I decided to go with an Audio Refinement Complete which is a tubey-sounding solid state. I use Triangle speakers and the AR Complete matches particularly nicely with them. I think if you want to go with tubes, the Jolidas are a good bet and excellent value too. There are also a number of places that have upgrades and modifications available for various Jolidas if you think of upgrading down the road. For me, the limitations of my rack and the presence of my cat just made an all-tube option a little too nerve-wracking. What speakers are you using?

kevitra

Second Unit
The Jolida 302b is a great tube integrated.

My cat stays FAR away from it. When I first got it he looked at it, but he could sense the heat and stays clear.

Dave Jewett

Agent
Eujin,

I have Swan Diva 4.1's as my mains. One question I have though is if I use an integrated amp, would I also be able to use a sub for the low bass? I have an SVS 25-31pci crossed at 100hz and I'd like to keep using it for music if possible...

Dave

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Ah...the subwoofer issue. The SVS amplifier has speaker-level inputs, so I'd imagine that you'd be able to run speaker cables to the sub and out to your Swans. The crossover on the sub can be set at the 100Hz setting that you like--the crossover setting in your 520 doesn't have to be touched. Just check with SVS and make sure that you can have both speaker level and line level connections simultaneously. I don't see how this would be a problem as I know, for example, that Adire recommends that their sub amps be connected this way for optimum music and HT performance.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
There are some nice Jolida integrated amps at Audiogon, I'm thinking this might be a decent way to get into tubes...
I would be hesitatnt about doing this in a HT setup as the dynamics of HT would exceed the power limits of many tube amps. Music rarely requires the need to reproduce explosions.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Thanks to the advice from Eujin above I'm leaning toward getting an integrated amp to completely bypass the HK for music
Dave, let us know how this all works out for you. I would personally be interested to know, as I don't know a lot of other people who've gone down this road. As for the dynamics issue mentioned above, I haven't encountered this problem at all in my space--10X18 with listening position at about 8 feet from front speakers. Good luck!

Roly

Auditioning
John congrats, it's a beautiful thing!

Last summer I went totally crazy and re-did my system.
I bought 4 Onkyo M-501 power amps.
A Rotel rsp1066 pre/pro.
An OHM Sat-3CC (Center channel) speaker to compliment my still sweet sounding OHM I's (L/R fronts).
A pair of Bose 901 Series VI's are the surrounds.

Each Ohm I has a 12" subwoofer with a "SubBass Activator" circuit and are bi-amped using two of the M501's. That's why I don't have a separate sub.

The center speaker uses one side of a M-501 (the other side is reserved for a another Sat-3CC Center speaker.
The Bose are powered by the fourth M-501.

I will admit is was very tricky getting these speakers to sound right. I was very concerned with the timbre match between the Center speaker and the I's and blending in the 901's, but Dr. John Strohbeen of Ohm Speakers gave me great advice and it all works beautifully.

When I fire up the system it's like going to Home Theater Heaven. I'm sure the 4 separate Amps play a major role to that end especially since they are all matched too!

Now if my wife would just let me replace my 35" JVC monitor with that 50" plasma flat screen I need(who cares about the mortgage).

Happy listening and good luck.
Roly :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks