What's new

Well...I finally took my Onkyo R500 receiver back to CC to get it serviced for LFE... (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I took it to the customer service dept. and they said it would 10-14 days to get it back fixed. Has anyone bought a unit with the mode 3 LFE woofer sound working? How does it sound, much better than mode 1? thanks guys.

I took mine in a couple of weeks ago for the LFE problem in subwoofer mode 3. They said a couple of days to fix it but then they called and told me to come in a pick up a new one. :) I don't know if that was because I had CC's extended warranty or what since the Onkyo warranty was still good too. I have not had a chance to try out the mode 3 to see if it has been fixed on the new unit but will try it out this weekend since it needs to cailibrated anyways.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
walter,

after you test it out this weekend, would you please tell me how it is in this thread, and how it sounds. Also, I've never calibrated my speaker before, is it really necessary? Can't I just leave everything at +-0 volume and everything will be at the same level? Thanks.

Jon_Skiffington

Auditioning
Kurt,

Leaving all of your speakers at +0db would work if (and only if) you were in an ideal listening room with every speaker equidistant from your listening position. Chances are, however, that's not your environment.

If you don't want to invest in an SPL meter and a calibration disc, you can at least try to approximate by running through the test tones on your receiver and setting the speakers so they sound "about the same volume" from your listening position.

It does make a big difference. You may not pay attention to it when your speakers are calibrated, but when the sound panning from left to right goes up 3db when it hits the center channel and down 5db when it hits the right, the difference is jarring.

Jon

Finally got around to getting it calibrated. I was using my Radio Shack Sound Level meter and the Sound & Vision HT DVD for sound levels. When doing level testing for the sub I noticed I still wasn't getting a signal under sub mode 3 for either the Dolby Digital or the DTS level tests. When I switched to sub mode 1, plenty of bass from the sub (I put my ear next to it each time just to be sure). Under mode 3 the bass was coming from the mains rather than the sub during the level test while the bass came from the sub under mode 1. Using the THX Optimizer on the AotC DVD, the sub worked fine under mode 1 or 3 although it didn't work under mode on my original receiver. Strange.
Anyway under mode 3 or 1 it works fine for watching the DVD I've tried. I normally use mode 1 anyways since I like a little bass for non-5.1 stuff as well (cross-over is 120)

In response to your calibration question... YES!! You need to calibrate!! It makes a world of difference! Get your messuring tape out to get the delays right and then beg/borrow a Sound Level meter to get the levels correct.

Hope ther eis something useful here for you.

Users who are viewing this thread