What's new

Well I did it...now I need help! (1 Viewer)

Richard_T

Second Unit
Well, I just took possession of my new Sony KDF55XS955 LCD Projection television this past weekend. I also bought the new Star Choice DVR530 HD box to go with it. Now, all this new digital stuff is a bit confusing to me still so I need some help.

The star Choice box has a red button on the front that changes the signal from 480i/480p 720i/720p 1080i and 0:00 which it says is the "native" mode. Which mode should it be in for best HD quality and why? I am using component cables to connect my TV to the receiver.

Is there any way to directly pick which of the 8 video channels I want instead of scrolling through them all until I find the one I want. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

I'll have more questions as I play with it I bet but so far, I'm pretty impressed.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Shoot, my other question. I have a B&W 600S3 center channel that I'd like to have above my set but since it's so thin, it won't fit. Can someone please suggest a way to do it. I've heard of these "omni mounts" which they say can hold it but it just looks like a piece of plastic with some two sided tape to hold the legs of the mount to the TV. I just don't think it'll hold the weight. Does anyone know of something that will be safer than these things? Here's the link to the omni mount stand.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdfif.0

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I picked up an Omni Mount (it's not plastic but metal) but the legs weren't long enough for the pitch of the DLP I intended to use it on. There are two small prongs on the front which "hooks" it to the font of your TV to prevent slipping backward, and patches to stick on the legs of the unit and the back of the TV to secure it in place.

Since it didn't fit my set I took it back and since have settled on the slightly off center position of the center channel in the stand below the TV. I know I wouldn't have been happy if I *had* to attach it to the TV using the patches.

-paul

Richard_T

Second Unit
SO do you think it could handle the weight of my 600S3. I'd say it weighs close to 30lbs?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I would think so. It was sturdy metal and would easily hold 30lbs. The prongs in the front of the unit (i would suggest wrapping a little electrical tape around them as they might scratch the tv) would prevent it from slipping backwards.

As for the rear legs, which stablizes the shelf- -- instructions say you need to attach it to the TV which I, personally, would rather not do. Maybe use a tiny bit of cloth around the feet to give it more, um, traction I think is the word I mean.

If you have a CC local you can head there and open the box to see how it's like. They might even be using one of these in one of their home theatre setups.

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks