Well, I did it -- my SVS shipped today!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help and feedback from members here in the forum. I got my wife to give final approval, and hopefully by this time next week I'll be giving it a workout! I increased the wife acceptance factor by going with the 25-31PCi, which should give it a profile that will fit well with my existing mains.

Rich

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Good luck with it, I also have the 25-31 and it's great!

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    excellent dude! great purchase.
    I got the 25-31 for the same reason, increased WAF. sadly this hasn't quite worked out, she still flipped out first time she saw it [​IMG]

4. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

You guys need to get your priorities clear....whats more important....Sex with your wife or good quality bass?
    I think I will go listen to my SVS again tonight![​IMG]

5. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

You're gonna love it. I wouldn't trade my SVS for any other sub. I had to put extra putty around my windows due to my sub. I hope your system is elevated as mine was with this great addition.
    Raine

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Congrats on your wise purchase. Now the first two things you should do when you get it is, 1. calibrate it and 2. watch LOTR. LOTR will show you what an SVS sub is made of.

Enjoy.

7. Richard Harvey

That brings up a good question. My calibration disc is Video Essentials, and I do have a Radio Shack analog SPL. Will this be suitable, or would Avia be a better disc?

Thanks for the input!

Rich

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

VE will be fine, use 75dB(instead of 85 on AVIA). I would also suggest starting out will all speakers set to small, and locating the subwoofer in a good corner of the room---preferably a corner near the key seating.

TV

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Congrat's on your new SVS 25-31PCi!! It is IMHO, the BEST HT Investment I've made!!
    FYI: My brother loved mine so much, he also bought his own SVS 25-31PCi!! We won't repeat what his wife said about the size, but he told me after they watch a few DVD's last weekend, she admitted how much better the Blockbuster DVD sounded, even @ -15 dB below REF!! [​IMG] My brother comes over to my house to watch DVD's @ or near REF Level! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Richard Harvey

One last question: I have Infinity RS4 reference mains, and a Boston VR-910 center. Should I set the sub crossover on my Denon to 80, 100, or 120? I'm assuming 120 to let the sub handle as much as it can on the bass side, but have no idea.

Rich

11. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

My SVS SV25-31CS arrives tommorow!

12. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

enjoy!!

13. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Richard, if i remember right, anything above 80 is directional which is not what a sub is supposed to be. So i would say put it at 80.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

14. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Tom V:
    Just curious... it doesn't REALLY matter what dB level one uses to calibrate one's speakers, does it? I mean, it's just a tool for balancing all 6 speakers, right? So, one could theoretically use 65dB as their own personal "reference" point, right? As I understand it, the 75dB (or 85 for Avia) is only if you want to mark a point on your volume dial that represents "industry" or "theater" reference level. Is this correct, or is there some other reason why we should balance all our speakers to 75dB(85) while calibrating?

Thanks,

15. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I am interested in a dual 25-31CS Subwolfer package with amp deal. How long did it take you guys to get them? Do they make them as they get the order or what?

16. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

17. Tom Vodhanel

Kieran,

As Phil noted...using the correct level is important. However, using a lower(or higher) level is possible but you'll have to manually compensate for the level difference when trying to determine what *display* on your receiver actually indicates *reference* levels. For example...if you use 65dB on AVIA(20dB low)...and you master volume display on the receiver ends up at say...-27dB when all speakers are set to 75dB. -27dB isn't reference...it would be -7dB on the display.(and that is assuming the receiver display is an accurate indicator of relative dB level changes!). In the end, I would use the recommended volume levels when possible,

TV

18. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I am interested in a dual 25-31CS Subwolfer package with amp deal. How long did it take you guys to get them? Do they make them as they get the order or what?

19. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Congrats! And I'll agree that the Fellowship DVD is gotta be the best movie yet to show off your SVS! My PC20-39 just loved that movie. [​IMG]
    Have fun with your great big cylinder o fun.
    Brian

20. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Tom & Phil,

Thanks for the replies. I'm just playing devil's advocate, really, as I *did* calibrate my system to reference, in the past.

Seriously though... say for example I don't care where "reference" is on my volume knob, and I don't care how far below reference I am... I just adjust the volume based on what sounds good depending on time of day/presence of neighbors, etc. If I end up listening at 10dB below ref, but just don't know it, does it matter?

It seems to me that the only benefit to calibrating at ref level is so one will know where ref is on their volume control. But if you *always* listen at 10dB below anyway, what difference does it make?

I guess I'm asking this: if I calibrate my 6 speakers using a 65dB level for the pink noise, are the levels of the speakers relative to each other going to end up different than if I were to calibrate them at a 75(85) dB reference? If not, then it seems that the only reason to calibrate the speakers at reference, is so that you can know where the official studio reference level is. But if you're NEVER going to listen at that insane level (small appartment for example) it really doesn't matter.