Well, HD-DVD specs have offcially been approved. Link inside.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by KellyR, Jun 14, 2004.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

http://www.dvdforum.org/26scmtg-resolution.htm

Looks like they're on their way. Hopefully it launches as soon as possibly since that translates to cheaper prices sooner. This also makes me wonder about Sony and Mash. trying to get BluRay off and running. Anyways, just trying to pass the info along.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    The sooner the better.

I can't wait until I have product to buy.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Apparently HD-DVD will have three mandatory codecs: MPEG2, Windows Media 9, and MPEG4 AVC H.264.

MPEG2 decoding is necessary for regular DVD playback so they might as well keep it for HD-DVD. Furthermore, MPEG2 decoding is necessary for recording and subsequently playing current HDTV broadcasts.

But for the other two, it seems they decided to not decide. They'll do both.

I'm not convinced the standard is completely finished. The codecs have been selected and the physical specification is approved. So now the disc manufacturing plants will know what is expected of them (it's said they won't have to do much refitting to start making the discs, on the other hand Blu-Ray is much different), and the player manufacturers know their requirements as far as lasers, lenses, and decoding go. But there are a few other things that I'm not sure are finished. For example, have they conjured up new copy protection? If they have, is Hollywood satisfied with it?