Well, got my Integra DTR 6.4 to replace my Arcam

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulDA, Mar 10, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    It didn't even blow up. I connected the same equipment with the same wires and interconnects and plugged it into the same socket on the same powerbar in the same outlet. So I guess it wasn't my fault after all that two Arcams blew up.

Glad I got that off my chest. Still haven't calibrated and set everything (16pgs in Arcam guide, 75+pgs in Integra guide). So far I've ascertained that DPLII is a lot better than DPL. That, and all the inputs seem to work.

BTW, for all you Arcam (current/potential) owners out there, I just didn't want to go through this blow up again (see my other posts if you want details). I still like the Arcam sound and if I ever decide to add some additional amplification, I will certainly consider Arcam power amps.

Off to play with my new toy.

Played some music for an hour. Tried DPLII Music, DTS Neo:6 Music (not using a 6th channel) so far DPLII is the winner.

I'm stuck with my old Harman Kardon HKTS 6 setup for now, as my some of my Bostons are on order. (Got my VR-M60s set up in Zone 2). My Bostons are 3-6db (depending on the speaker) more sensitive than my HKs and it makes quite a difference for my output (more than I thought I'd notice--I'm not addressing QUALITY, just output).

To those who had suggested Dynaudios, I heard some and they were lovely, but, unlike the Arcam, the Integra DTR 6.4 can't drive a speaker with less than 6ohms, so I guess my speaker choice worked out in the end.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just glad I get to play with my toy(s) instead of waiting for them (and watching them blow up).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Congrats!

My Marantz 8300 says it can't drive less than 6ohms too, but it does, though it got a bit compressed when I cranked it, so I moved the mains to monoblocks.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Keep trying [​IMG]

Like John said, you can get away with 4 ohm speakers if you don't push them to the point where the receiver is unable to pump out the amps needed. If your speakers have reasonable sensitivity and your room isn't humongous, it's worth a shot evaluating them. BTW, how was the english on the Arcam manual?

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I've already bought the Bostons, so the ohm issue is moot (they're rated at 8ohms)

Just watched my first DVD through the Integra. Apollo 13.

First impressions: more details in the soundtrack than I got from my old Denon AVR1600. However, as I am currently limited to my HKTS 6 setup, until all my Bostons arrive on order, I found that the HKs were even more fatiguing than before. I don't know if that's the Integra or the fact that I've not listen to the HKs in three weeks while I've been auditioning a number of speakers (all of which are much better). After a week of musical joy from the Boston VR-M60s on the borrowed Arcam A65, going back to the HKs is a serious step down. I will be hooking up the 60s tonight or tomorrow and running them through the pure audio mode. Crossing my fingers that I'll still like them as much as did through the Arcam A65.

5. Joris van W.

Joris van W. Auditioning

To bad you didn't go for the Arcam, but I can't blame you considering your experiences. I've never heard of Integra. I suppose it's only available in the USA and Canada (the dealer locater on their site only allows you to select Canada and USA). the machine looks sweet and it has more features than the Arcam AVR200. I hope it sounds good too. enjoy!!

One thing about your first impressions: don't focus too much on them. Since your receiver is brand new it has to burn in some time. It will sound better and better after a while. The same thing with your new speakers when they arrive. Don't be disapointed when they don't sound super in the beginning. I don't know the burn-in time for the Integra, but my Arcam played continuously for about 2 weeks (dvd/cd on repeat).

You proberly know all this, but just in case.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Joris,

I too am a little disappointed not to have the Arcam, in the end. However, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of getting another bad one (my dealer has been open about a year and has sold about 35 Arcam products, but only two AVR200s (three if you count both of mine). I was the only customer to have a problem. I'm certain that I'm in the minority and that the rest of you have nothing to worry about, but, as I said, I didn't want to take the chance.

However, my Integra does have full pre-out capability so down the road perhaps I can add some Arcam power amps and recapture that sound. As for the Integra, I hooked up my Boston VR-M60s and activated the "Pure Audio" mode and found the experience quite pleasant. The sound is bit "brighter" than the A65 (that was well burned-in) but had good bass (perhaps a tad better than the A65) and good imaging and detail. It didn't quite have the depth of soundfield of the Arcam, but when we get our house in the fall or winter, I'll have a dedicated room in which to tweak the placement and settings, so I'll reserve judgement until then.