Well Gateway screwed me!! (GeForce4 order cancelled)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

This is the last time I deal with Gateway for ANYTHING. I thought I had a hell of a deal getting a GeForce4 for $234 shipped. Well, they emailed me this morning saying that my order was backordered and now cancelled because of the "overwhelming" demand.
    Take a look at the email. No compensation, no nothing. Since I used a $50 coupon on this card, I would have at least expected the chance to use $50 off something else.
    Dear Robert Varto,
    Thank you for placing your recent order with the Gateway Accessory Store. We regret that our supply of the XTASY GEFORCE4 TI4400 has been depleted, and we are unable to replenish our stock at this time. Consequently, this item has been removed from our inventory list and cancelled from your order #467633061. This item is no longer available from the manufacturer and will not be listed on our site in the future.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to serving you again. Our site has a full compliment of products. Return to our site at http://www.necxdirect.com/?nonce=guest_gate to find a suitable substitute.
    Sincerely,
    Client Relations
    Gateway Accessory Store

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Have you emailed them about just this??

If they are a standup company they should give you another $50 bucks off.

Brent L

3. Rob Varto

When I tried to email I got an "Undeliveralbe" response. It said that their mailbox was full.

So I called them and talked to a customer service rep. I told him I was disappointed in the process and that I would have at least expected $50 off another product. He agreed and gave me his email to confirm if I bought anything else. Needless to say, I've had my heart set on a GeForce4 for some time - and Gateway will not carry that product anymore.

So, despite getting $50 off something else (their prices are pretty high anyways and $50 off might be a wash with another company) I went to pricewatch.com and found a Gainward GeForce4 Ti4600 from UnitedMicro.com... I placed my order not too long ago.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Rob, if you're the type of guy who doesn't mind doing a little driving or bargaining, you can make a printout of this reciept and try to get a pricematch from your local Best Buy or one of its competitors. The reciept is 100% legit (from the Best Buy GF4 fiasco a month ago), but your success may vary. It has worked though (usually if you talk to the salesperson and feed them the "can I speak to the regional manager" line, they'll give in).
    [​IMG]

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Rob,

I would suggest to Gateway that they try to substitute the ATI Radeon 8500 AGP card as a replacement for the now-cancelled order.

The Radeon 8500 is just as fast as the cancelled card for the majority of computer games out there, and best of all the card has hardware assistance for DVD decoding, which will allow for extremely smooth DVD playback if your Gateway machine has a DVD-ROM drive.

I'll guarantee that Gateway will hear from not a few state attorney generals in regard to this fiasco.

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Rob, I found this post from Ryan over at the discussion on this at VoodooExtreme:

7. Rob Varto

Dan B -

You're absolutely right. I received an email from Gateway on Friday afternoon asking if I would like to reinstate my order. I replied with a YES - as long as I still get the $50 rebate, yada yada yada. I think I'll call them today too.

Thanks.