Well, expect lots of questions (I went crazy this weekend)...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianS, Sep 15, 2002.

1. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

Well, I did it. I lost my mind but I think I will be happy about it. Yesterday I made the following purchases:

Mitsubishi WS-65411 HDTV
    Denon 1600 DVD Player
    Denon AVR-1803 Receiver
    Definitive Technology BP2X Rear speakers (to add to my current ones for 6.1)

I feel like I have maybe gone nuts but I am terribly excited as well. Delivery is on Monday but of course I will also have to get the TV calibrated properly which means more cash. Plus I really need to get higher quality front, center & sub speakers to go with this nice stuff. Oh yeah, and a dish or HD cable.

So...expect tons of future questions (I promise to do a "search" first)! Maybe now I will understand the hype over anamorphic transfers & understand all the complaints on crummy transfers (that had currently looked okay to me).

Any others here gone a little nuts like this over a weekend (and any tips)?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Congrats on having taken leave of your senses, Brian. Good results!
    And might we expect to see a higher post count from you now? [​IMG]

3. Jim Can

Jim Can Stunt Coordinator

Brian,I too went out and bought the Mitsubishi 55411. I didn't go as nuts as you but I'm excited about it also. I can't wait till Saturday.

4. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

Yep Jack, you probably will see the post count rise. As you can see I have been a longtime member but mostly just a lurker. Now I might actually be able to contribute more. I just always felt so much of this stuff was way over my head (well, it still is) but now I have some decent toys to finally drown in.

Congrats Jack. I luckily only have to wait until tomorrow as the set will be delivered around 3pm.

I do have one question for those reading though...any thoughts on which calibration disc I need to buy to tide me over until I get it professionally done? I see that AVIA is around 35 bucks & it's cousin, the Sound & Vision disc is around $13. Any major differences between the two? Is the S&V just as good since it is made by the same people? Would I be missing any major tests with the S&V? I have Video essentials but it seems to be geared more toward a 4:3 TV. Are either of these specifically for 16x9 TVs or is there a different disc I don't know about for that? Thanks!

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Brian,
    I have Avia and S&V. Both do the job fine. S&V has fewer video tests (but more audio tests, like 6.1 and Dts). S&V is designed for people who aren't hardcore tweakers. You'll do fine here. Widescreen vs. 4:3 is a non-issue.
    You'll need to get a $39 RadioShack Sound Pressure Level meter to set the audio for surrounds and a sub. I keep mine permanently on top a camera tripod, now in the closet, cuz I use it over and over, mostly to get my sub dialed in.
    I'm sure you've read here about immediately turning down the tv set's "torch mode." In the same vein, it's recommended to use the Avia or S&V right away to fine tune it. And this gives you more familiarity with your new set. After 100 hours of use, you can look into finding a professional in-home ISF calibrator to get the maximum display your set is capable.
    I'm sure Jack wont object to my pointing you to www.hometheaterspot.com where you'll find a full boat of Mitsubishi owners and tweaks. Read about "red push." If you're fortunate, no problem.
    bill

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

my god...3 years for 15 posts...lol I have never seen that anywhere before....
    Good luck[​IMG]

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I smell threadfart
    And if not, this is the way it comes across...

Shame, elMocker. Remember that lurkers are our friends. They can turn into contributing members of society. At any given time, half the readers of this forum are unregistered.

Why, even today, we welcomed this fellow, who said:
    "Hi Guys & Gals. First post at the HTF. I am really glad I found this place. I've never seen such a board, no flaming like the car audio forum. Now to business."

Who gives a rat's a$$ about post count when you've got a life to live?

Peace out...