Well,crud

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,My living room just got a bit smaller .I was so set on a front projector but I do not know.My viewing distance will be about 12',the room is 14'feet but figuring the couch etc.
    So,Is 12' too close for a fp?If I go with a rp,that will drop to about 10' by the time you figure in cabinet depth.If rp is what I have to do,I will want the biggest size I can get for that distance however,it will probably end up being 4:3 because it would be the main tv and we honestly watch more tv than dvd's.If I went with an fp it would just be for movies or the occasional game.
    So what size screen is just right if I get an fp or rp?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

2. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, a really top flight system would let you sit about 1.5 times the screen width away (up to 8' wide in your room), but you'll only be able to get that with CRT (properly scaled), an XGA DLP (maybe), or a D-ILA on a screen that size. You could go as large as 6' wide and be at two times the screen width, which would open up your possibilities to include an XGA LCD (preferably with MLA to reduce screen door) and a line doubled (deinterlaced) CRT picture.
    The real question is can you mount the projector in the ceiling? If not, then you options are narrowed sharply unless you can configure your room around the projector. If you go digital, be sure to choose a projector with a short throw distance (this is less of a problem with CRT since the throw distances are rather short anyway. If you can't ceiling mount, you probably won't be able to use CRT without some serious rearranging.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde