Well constructed enclosure w/Shiva Driver vs. SVS 20-39cs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Sep 21, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    How would a well constructed enclosure w/shiva driver compare to a 20-39cs? I have been hearing so much about these drivers and how they will blow you away from the guys in the DIY area. Also, are they the best drivers out there for the money? What about Stryke drivers, how do they compare?
    Tom, Ron,
    How does your driver(raw) compare to the Shiva?
    I'm trying to decide between an SVS or DIY project.
    (cost vs. performance)

2. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

I'm using an Shiva based isobaric sub in a small cabinet like the Rava with great results. I'm powering it with a Hafler DH220 amp and using my Denon 5800 crossover sub output at 80hz. You might also like the Rava if you don't want to assemble a DIY sub.
    ------------------

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    From what I hear, the Rava can't match the SVS. Is this true? What I'm really shooting for is the comparison between say a sono sub using the Shiva vs. the SVS 20-39cs. Why would all those DIY's go to all the trouble of trying to build the perfect sub if SVS has already done it and made it very affordable? Are they doing it just because they want to, or will it really provide better results???

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

If you want, have the time, and can, you might build a DIY subwoofer which performs as well, or better, than the SVS for less money. I checked it out and found that by the time I bought the materials, driver, and tools to build the comparitive sonosub, I would save about $200 bucks on a $1100 sub. I decided that the customer support and warranty was worth more than that... so I bought a SVS Ultra.
    Others have built equivalent or customized superior subs for less, so keep reading the DIY sectionss before you make a final decision.
    Good Luck and have fun!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well, like John sed, go do a search in the DIY area and do some more reading. But from what I've read there, here is a breif summary.
    Put a Shiva in a vented sonotube enclosure that is slightly larger than the 20-39cs and the performance should be very similar. Depending on power and tuning you can go from more low end than a 20-39 to more punch in the 40-60hz range to coming very close to matching it's overall performance. Actually I guess kinda like the difference between the 16-46, 29-39 and 25-31. Put a Tempest (which is only $25 more than the Shiva) in a much larger vented sonotube enclosure and it should come very close to what a pair of 20-39cs subs can put out (with more low end capability if you tune it 16-18hz).
    If you have the time, the tools and can manage large enclosures (20-39 is about 125L, a shiva will need around 140L and a Tempest should be in the mid 200L to 300L range)you should be able to build a sub that can come very close to matching or match a 20-39 using a Shiva and one that can definately beat it's output using a Tempest (provided again you can handle a rather large enclosure) for less than you would pay for a 20-39. How much less will depend on how elaborate you get in the subs finish.
    I can tell you, since I've done it, that you can build a Tempest sonosub with a 250 watt plate amp for under $500 USD including everything (shipping, taxes, etc). Take another $25 off if you use a Shiva. If you don't have the tools, this cost will be a bunch higher. A 20-39PC will cost you $750 plus shipping and taxes if they apply.
    So if you have the tools, can accept the larger enclosure and the money saved is worth the effort building one to you, build one. If not you can't go wrong with an SVS.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    bart107@sk.sympatico.ca
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on September 22, 2001 at 01:58 AM]