welcome to the world of separates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin T, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

well, i finally broke down and purchased an acurus a200x5 amplifier off of ebay. bought it used less than 5 hours for $885 delivered. i know the whole deal about klipsch putting the acurus line on the back-burner but with a list price of $2000, i couldn't pass up those kinda savings. for now, i'll be using my sony db930 as a pre-amp until i can find a suitable replacement (the outlaw 950 looks promising). can't wait to get that monster delivered and hooked up so i can see what all the fuss is about. i've got my fingers crossed!
    kevin t

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Kevin (!)- I think you will really enjoy the Acurus amp.
    I have two 200x3's, and am in the process of upgrading to 2 A200x3's for a THX EX/DTS-ES set up. (Upgrade-itis!) I looked at B&K and Parasound (among others), but decided to stick with Acurus.
    Go check out the "forum" part of the Klipsch web site. Support for Acurus products isn't going anywhere, but like you and me and others have found, you can get really good deals on Acurus stuff now.
    I have had occasion to experience Acurus (Mondial Designs) customer support before. Definately isn't like that from the bigger Japanese electronics companies. It's like you're part of an extended family, and not just another number in a telephone queue.
    Very nice stuff. Congrats!
    ------------------

3. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

well, i finally broke down and purchased an acurus a200x5 amplifier off of ebay. bought it used less than 5 hours for $885 delivered. i know the whole deal about klipsch putting the acurus line on the back-burner but with a list price of $2000, i couldn't pass up those kinda savings. for now, i'll be using my sony db930 as a pre-amp until i can find a suitable replacement (the outlaw 950 looks promising). can't wait to get that monster delivered and hooked up so i can see what all the fuss is about. i've got my fingers crossed!
    -----------------------------
    More than likely you're going to comeback and claim how much of a difference the separates amps sound from the receiver.

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Kevin,
    What kind of sound does the Acurus put out, warm, neutral, etc.? I'm in the process of doing some research on amps and I've seen some good prices on the Acurus amps...enough to seriously consider them...
    Thanks,
    Ron

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ron- Here's what I think of Acurus sound:
    Sterile.
    And what I mean by that is, no coloration at all added to the input signal. Nothing added, and nothing taken away. "A straight wire with gain."
    And that's my personal preference. [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Geoff Harris

Geoff Harris Auditioning

I currently have 3 Marantz MA700 monoblocks that I'm thinking of selling so that I can get a 5 channel amp. Does anyone have experience comparing Acurus amps with Marantz?

7. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Geoff ,
    I used to live in Merritt Island when I worked at the cape. I miss that area! Its one of the best areas for climate in Florida with that ocean breeze cooling you in the summer.
    How many watts are the Marantz blocks? I might be interested in two of them or all three if the price is right. I currrent preamp out my front three with a carver amp and power the rears with my marantz sr-19. I am thinking about getting a deticated preamp and would need amps for the rear channels. I want another carver but they are hard to come by.
    Bob
    ------------------
    Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Kevin,
    Sterile...that's what I want!
    Thanks,
    Ron

10. Geoff Harris

Geoff Harris Auditioning

Bob,
    It's funny because I used to live in Pennsylvania near Valley Forge and ended up working down here at the cape. After being here for 5 years I don't think I could go back to the cold.
    I think when I do put the amps up for sale I'll ask around $300 per amp. The amps are rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms. I believe the MA700 has been discontinued and a replacement is due out soon.
    Geoff

11. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Geoff
    That is wierd! My mother lives by valley forge.
    Where do you live by in Merritt Island? I was on Plumosa Street in the townhouses.
    Its a shame what happened to all the good strip clubs down there. They used to be great 5 + years ago but now they are just ordinary. The old Teasers was the best.
    ------------------

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I would define Acurus as accurate to very slightly forward. Certainly not warm. They can be be very revealing of source components, and unforgiving. However, I like accurate amps and then select source components by 'sound'. I don't use Acurus in a HT system, but I do for two-channel music, where I have mated an A250 with a slightly warm yet musical NAD 512 CD, a Creek OBH-10 passive 'pre-amp', and ever-changing speakers (currently B&W).
    Every company seems to produce occassional gems, but for overall product line comparisons I would place Acurus above B&K and Marantz for amplification. I would select Marantz CD players over Acurus though, and there are some wonderful B&K amps, but all Acurus amps seem equally 'good'.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

13. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Robert, what Carver amp are you looking for? My friend is selling his 500T.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

14. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I just bought a new A200x5 on Ubid for $869.00. I was in the market for a B&K but the price was too good to ignore.
    Lots of the A200x5 continue to show up on Ubid with the actual price ranging from $869 to $1K depending on bidding.
    It has not arrived yet but I hope to mate it with an Outlaw 950 next month.
    Tom

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Acurus and Outlaw should be a great combo.
    I have a Sony TA-E9000ES now, and I'll be eagerly looking for reviews of the Outlaw to determine if I want to switch too.
    Me, myself, and I: I would not want an amp to sound "warm." "Warm" to me implies a "tube" sound, which to me, is the anti-thesis of accurate sound reproduction.
    [​IMG]
    (Putting on my flamesuit...)
    ------------------

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Kevin, I require tubes in my amps... Guitar amps, that is [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Library

17. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with Scott H. I have an Acurus A250 and 200X3(hope to add another 200X3 soon...are you listening Kevin B? [​IMG])and I would say a little forward. I drive an all NHT speaker set up, with silver(yikes!)interconnects,and were these amps too forward, I would know it! Yes, uncolored to slightly forward, that's what I would call them.
    Jason

18. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here mates their Acurus A200 or A200x5 amp with Paradigm Reference Studio speakers? Do you think that would be a good or bad combo? I am planning on using this setup with an Outlaw 950 preamp when it becomes available. Thanks for your feedback.
    [Edited last by Michael Yung on September 08, 2001 at 10:25 PM]

19. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Scott H,
    I was trying to match the one I have for my front 3 channels. Its the a-753x 250 watt 3 channel amp. They made a 2 channel that matched this. I want that or another 3 channel but its funny, they now sell for more used on Ebay than I paid for it brand new over 2 years ago.
    I think any 150 watt 2 or 3 channel amp would do since its my rears. I eventually want to replace my SR-19 with a preamp so I can get DPLII and EX capabitlty......But cash is an issue so I will probably wait a long time before doing any upgrades. Thank god I bought all my gear a few years back before my son was born and this economy went sour.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Robert Ma on September 08, 2001 at 11:02 PM]