Welcome to my co-administrators in this section

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Feb 27, 2002.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Cees Alons and Steven Simon as moderators of the HT Construction and Interiors area. Their presence and participation is appreciated.
    No strangers to the realm of HTF administration, both Cees and Steven have great interest in home theater. Steve currently has both a main and secondary (bedroom) installation and he is forever tweaking them to achieve that ephemeral HT nirvana. (I've cost him lots of money over the years whenever I come up with something new. Shortly thereafter Steven is on board with the same or similar upgrades.)
    [​IMG]
    And Cees is about to embark on the great adventure of constructing his own home theater. As such, he is probably acutely aware of some of the latest developments. I will be watching the progress of his HT with much interest.
    In other words both gentlemen bring a lot to the table for this section and they will provide the additional resources, perspectives and energy that will make this an even better place to hang your hat.
    Gentlemen, start your engines.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Thanks, RAF. Here we go...

Cees

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Welcome Steve and Cees as administrators to this forum! As someone who is in the planning stages for a future dedicated HT (and has a ton of questions, some probably dumb ones too [​IMG] ), I'm looking forward to your contributions to this forum.
    Cees, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on your dedicated HT design. I'm always interested in hearing what others are going to do with their dedicated room. I'm in the process of putting some design ideas on a webpage so others can critique them, but it's slow going since I don't know HTML yet.

4. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Welcome, welcome welcome [​IMG]
    Cees, I'll be very interested in your sojourn to building your own HT, as I am in the process myself.
    ~Kurt

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Thanks for the nice welcome, guys.
    Well, today was my last office day - officially I'm an old pensioner and retired worker tomorrow [​IMG].
    There's a room in my house, 6.10 m x 3.87m (20' 0.16" x 12' 8.36"), in the past used as a guest room, that I now dedicated to be my new Home Theatre. It's 3.25m high (10' 7.95"), this height being quite normal for a cityhouse built around 1900 (I live in the centre of Amsterdam).
    This work will be part of a more general reconstruction of 2 floors of the house and although we already have some general ideas, nothing has taken fixed shape as yet.
    I was using QuickCad (v7) to try some early drawings, but last month I discovered that as a former licensee of a product I used regularly 12 yrs. ago (EasyCad), I could still get a considerable deduction on a 3D-successor of that package. So I'm trying to learn the new package now and find out if it suits me.
    Some decisions have been made already: I will not use my present roll-up screen, but a fixed surface on the wall instead. There will be adjustable curtains to match the film ratio. I'm going to build the speakers myself, using different drivers from an excellent manufacturer (Visaton, Germany) and a simple design. I will continue to use separates. My current projector, the Sony VPL-W400QM may also be the first projector in my new HT - but I'm open to ideas in this respect.
    My website is ready and waiting for the first pictures. But don't expect anything within 1 month!
    I'll keep you informed and I do hope many of you will allow me to ask some questions first.
    Cees

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Thank You Rafster!!!

Hey Guys,

I look foward to being involved in this great new section. As we all know, our Home Theaters are all works in progress, and there's always room for that minor tweak, or major upgrade.

Right now, I'm heading down the path of a Pre/Pro system just like Administrator Robert Fowkes. Tommorow is the day my Lexicon MC-1 Arrives. I have 7 Channels of high quality amps ready to go. I also look foward to doing a head to head battle between this piece and the soon to be released Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro....

Next interior upgrade to my larger theater is to install some theater seats. I plan on building a 6 inch platform of approx. 6-8 seats.

I look foward to helping others in this forum, as well as learing a great deal....