What's new

Welcome & Infinity vs Klipsch ... (1 Viewer)

John Spicer

Agent
Hey Guys,
Ive been lurking around for a while so thanx for all the information Ive sucked from you guys so far. I have been a major Infinity fan for quite a few years ago when I bumped into them in the car audio world. Im getting a chance now after years of waiting to finally put together a nice surround/stereo system in the entertainment center and have a question for you.
There does not seem to be a whole lot of information (pro or con) regarding Infinity and their line up on this board (or anywhere else that I can find). That could mean a couple of things such as Im out of date or they arent as nice as I think they are. :b As it stands Im looking at 2 driver combinations. The first would be a full 5.1 system (no room for 6.1/7.1) using the Infinity Alpha line centered around the Alpha 50's. And the second would be a full 5.1 system using the Klipsch Reference line centered around the RF-3 II's. Ive done alot of pro/live audio and would have to say that while I would use the system more for movies I weight stereo imaging and clarity for music heavier than I do movie content. So with that said, what would your choice be ?
The amplifier is the 320 (thought about Denon, couldnt walk away from the 320 @ J&R for $399.88 delivered). Granted the Klipsch has a higher sensitivity than the Alpha's which could be good for the 320, the room is fairly small and Im sure that Ill have more than enough SPL despite infinity's affinity for power. Personally, I think Infinity makes the clearest best sounding field that Ive ever heard but then I am a bit partial to them. I have a date with a Klipsch system tomorrow night to get some more listening time.
Yeah I know in the long run it matters more what my ears say but Im curious as to your opinion. Is there a reason (other than availability issues) that reviews / customer ratings arent nearly as available for the Alpha's as they are for other lines of speakers ?

-- John

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
I like my Klipsch speakers, some people say they sound a little on the bright side, but amp. selection can help on this matter, infinity makes some good speakers also, but not as loud most of the time as Klipsch, good luck

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I've owned a number of Infinity systems, and have always enjoyed them very much. My guess is that if you like the sound, you are probably going to stick with them.

-Robb

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
I think they are still looking at the Bose thread, give them a chance to answer, hello. :D

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
John
I will have to say I prefer the alpha 50s the klipsch sound much to harsh for my ears while the infinity is much smoother.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
People here do not often like the vs. threads (is this one better than that one) because folks ears have such different preferences, but I'll jump in.

I have owned some of the Infinity stuff (still have a couple of the speakers in my storage shed). They served a purpose, but I tend to go back to horns (and at my age I'll probably stay there). The RF stuff from Klipsch is generally a very good price/value proposition.

With horns you usually need to be more discriminating on equipment selection - while it is not difficult to come up with a good match, a poor match will probably make you dislike horns for quite some time.

Let your ears decide - While I have never heard the 'harshness' people describe with horns, it does appear to be a problem with folks. If you like the horns you may never go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.