What's new

DVD Review Welcome Back Kotter: The Complete Series - Recommended (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I received this Warner re-released 12-discs Kotter set in the mail yesterday on the release date (June 11, 2024).

Does anyone here know if this show was originally shot on 16mm film, or videotape ?

From a skim through of some random episodes on this new 12-disc Warner set, I noticed the interlacing/telecine appears to be entirely absent in many episodes. In contrast for comparison purposes, the 32-discs re-released Jeffersons dvd set I also got in the mail yesterday, still has the interlacing/telecine left in the video.

If anyone here has the ancient Warner season 1 Kotter dvd set and/or the older Shout Factory releases, does the video have any interlacing/telecine ?
I noticed this two years ago: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...aped-tv-shows-being-upconverted-to-hd.376149/
I don’t know if they were using AI back then, but advancements have definitely been made in the NTSC video tape to HD conversion process.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If anyone here has the ancient Warner season 1 Kotter dvd set and/or the older Shout Factory releases, does the video have any interlacing/telecine ?

(To partially answer my own question).

Here's an old 2014 review of the complete series set, where it has many screenshots.

Some of the screenshot stills have the "comb effect" intact, which is highly indicative of the interlacing/telecine being left in the video of the Shout Factory complete series set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Examining more closely in this Warner re-released 12-disc Kotter complete series set, it appears the video is consistent with being encoded as a temporal sequence of 24 progressive frames per second.

This is from changing the deinterlacing settings in a software player like VLC, Media Player Classic, etc .... and seeing the frame-by-frame behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ant2110
Recent bookmarks