What's new

Weird "Video in" problem on old Zenith TV - need help (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Zenith TV, very basic TV with one antenna input, one composite input. It's probably about 5 or 6 years old.

For some reason, I can't switch to the composite input ("AUX") anymore. It worked fine yesterday morning, but not last night.

No matter if I press the "Input" button on the remote, or the "Channel Down" to get to it, it doesn't show up, it goes from channel 2 to channel 138 (or whatever the highest channel is). It used to go 2 -> AUX -> 138 when I did that.

Does anyone know what might have happened? I'm saving up to buy a better TV, but I still have a few months left before I can do that, and I don't want to have to go out and buy a new TV right now just because of this.

/Mike

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Is there an option in the menus to disable the input, or to "turn off" channels? Perhaps it got turned off accidentally.

Otherwise, try unplugging the TV for a few minutes to reset the microprocessor. It might have gotten scrambled, say due to a power surge.

KJP

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
No option in menu to turn it off, it's not disabled. There were no power outages yesterday, but you're right, maybe a power surge could have done it?

Thanks for the tip to disconnect the TV for a few minutes, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I will try that when I come home.

/Mike

Trebor Pyn

Auditioning
first post i feel i might have something to offer.i have become very informed over the last few months of reading here.thank you all.

i have an older RCA(7 years) that i experienced the same thing with.try this;with components on enter oo into your tv.it switchs the input to s-video and will remain that way until you turn off the the external component.the tv can be turned off and on and will retain the setting until external component is interupted.i.e. i never turn off my vcr or sat.i think if you unplug or lose power you will have to reset.

dont know if it will work but good luck.

Trebor

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your replies guys.

I went home and unplugged the TV, plugged it in again, and voila, AUX was back!

I also noticed that my PC at home was turned off, something I never do. So there must have been a power outage, but a very brief one, because none of the clocks or other electronic equipment was turned off or affected.

I've had power outages before, but the AUX has always been there. Very weird.

Thanks again!

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks