Weird. The "Hotel California" DVD-A claims to have a Dolby Digital track, yet...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I haven't been able to find it (I'm sure it's there, somewhere!) but...

It does have a DTS audio track! Even if the format one is not listed anywhere in the disc.

Funny. I have tried everything to find the Dolby Digital track on the disc, but all I've been able to find is the DTS one. In a Dolby Digital only system, in fact, I wasn't able to play the disc.

I don't mind, but I wonder, how many DVD-A discs are out there with DTS tracks?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Javier,
    A DVD-A disc is required to have either of:
    DD (any mix from 1.0 to 5.1) Linear PCM to 24/96K in Video_TS.
    Anything else is optional.
    From a practical perspective, I loaded in the disc on my PeeCee DVD-ROM drive, and was greeted with this screen:
    [​IMG]
    Second menu item is the DD playlist.
    Regards,

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just got mine yesterday. Using a Pioneer DV-45A universal player, I was able to access all tracks.

The trick (om my player) is that you have to tell the player in the set-up menu whether to access the DVD-V layer (this is where DD and DTS reside) or the DVD-A layer (this is where the both he 5.1 and stereo DVD-A tracks reside.

I can not switch between DVD-A and DVD-V on the fly.

What is cool is that, once the DVD-V layer is selected, I CAN switch between DTS and DD on the fly. Great for comparisons.

Lastly, this is ONE KILLER DISC! I am very impressed with the sound. Although purest will stick with the hi-rez stereo track, I was quite impressed with the surround mix. I am able to hear nuances in the individual guitar parts that were previously buried in the mix...a real bonus for aspiring guitarists!

BL

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

5. Michael St. Clair

I'm really glad my RP-82 has a DVD-Video mode. On some discs the only stereo mix is on the DVD-V side (like the Queen disc, uncompressed 24/96 PCM stereo on the DVD-V side).
    Part of my attraction to DVD-A is the versatility.

6. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

That's *strange*. My Pioneer DVD-V player doesn't show the first screen, the one that allows you to select the audio mix to be listened to. It jumps straight to the audio tracks!
    Once I loaded it into my PC, though, it did give me the option of listenint to the disc in Dolby Digital.
    Very strange. I guess whenever I learn to switch audio tracks on my Pioneer, I'll also try and compare the DD and DTS tracks [​IMG]

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Javier,

DD and DTS should be seperate audio streams.

Try the "Audio" button to switch between DD and DTS.

Regards,

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i thought i read on an avsforum.com forum that some or many dvd-a dvd players don't see the DD track.
    my pan rp-91 doesn't.
    i have to put the disc into a non dvd-a dvd player to listen to the DD track.

9. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I beleive the Warner discs will play a default track, if you hit the "play" button to load the disc, but will give the menu if you hit the "close" button.

10. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Just having bought a new Toshiba DVD A machine recently I see what you mean by different menus. Having a proper DVD A player makes you a member of a special club it seems. How does the DTS mix compare with the DVD A 5.1 mix?