What's new

Weird subtitle fault on Canadian version of Bowling for Columbine (1 Viewer)

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Watched the new 2 disc set last night for the first time - a great movie.

However, I noticed a few problems with the subtitles. Firstly, the movie starts to use player generated subtitles in various scenes. O.K. - Fairly ugly. But, toward the end of the film, the player generated subtitles are superimposed on top of burnt in subtitles which seem to reappeared....

You get a kind of doubling effect.

Anyone else notice this?

Rich

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Isn't BFC released by Alliance Atlantis in Canada? Good grief, so they're at it again. No wonder that the pure mentioning of this company fills me with terror. :)

How is the US version of BFC? Does it have player generated subs all through the movie, or is it like the Canadian DVD, i.e. player-generated in the beginning and burnt-in later on, only without the fault?

Chris

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ well, the film is produced by Alliance Atlantis and United Artists, so it's natural for them to be the one releasing the dvd.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I know, and I was nervous about it ever since I heard Alliance was involved. Their negative track record speaks for itself. However I honestly didn't see a subtitle screw-up coming, I suspected something like missing features or a bad transfer to be the problem. I was about to order this, but now I don't know. The problem is that, as is the case most of the times, Canada is the cheapest DVD-buying option by far if you live in Europe.

Chris

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I watched it yesterday and it wasn't that big a deal, only showed up a few times. However, it would be nice to have no problems at all of course. Does anyone have the US version that can shed some light on this?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I haven't got my copy yet, lousy mail... As an English-speaking person, is there any reason why I should ever require the subtitles? IOW, I'm not forced to use them at some point am I?

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Watched the Canadian version Friday night. Had no subtitle problems, on a Hitachi DV-P250. The disc skipped for a split-second in a couple places, but that's it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Was this actually shot on film, or video? After "Jackass: The Movie" I'm not wasting my time with a "movie" that's actually been shot and presented on video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks