weird, someone just credited my paypal account..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tony_Woods, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

So I get an email saying I have just recieved a credit cardpayment, but in order to accept it I must be a premier member, which is free (except for transaction fees). So I do that and log in and there it is, a $32 payment from a name I do not recognize. The subject from the seller was "aa" and the notes field said "bb". The sender of the payment is unverified but the address is confirmed, and the name does match the address per whitepages.com What is going on here? I mean I like free money and all but I'm a little more than confused.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I'd reject it if you are given the option. If there is anything shady behind that payment (which seems to be likely) you don't want to be associated with it.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I'm with John. There's no such thing as a free gift on the Internet.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Contact PayPal as soon as you can, and if possible, try contacting the sender of the money. Only bad can come of this.

5. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

paypal will be contacting you next year. they could care less about there members

6. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

TAKE IT!! TAKE IT!! TAKE IT!!

:wink:

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

It sounds like someone typed in the wrong email address when they were trying to paypal someone else $32. You should email them back and confirm the money was meant for someone else. $32 could be a lot of money for someone.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I see a "made for tv" movie in here somewhere!

Maybe it's from some deposed General from Nigeria? [​IMG]

Jay

9. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i'd just do nothing at all. if the sender sends a refund notice, then i'd just give it back minus fees.

eric

10. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

It may be one of those scams again. Just let Paypal know about it and send it back.

11. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I guess that to "accept" the money, you'll have to enter your CC information first [​IMG]
    Delete the mail or contact PayPal

Vincent

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Double check to make sure that you're really seeing this at PayPal and not at a scam site which looks like PayPal but will rip you off if you give them any financial information that makes it possible for them to do so.

13. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Exactly. DO NOT log in by clicking on a link in the email! It may look like it takes you to PayPal, but may really be taking you to a site set up to scam you.

Open up your browser and manually type in www.paypal.com and log in from there. Then verify that the $32 payment is there.

14. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Paypal often says if the website doesn't begin with https:// it's not official.
    I'd recommend as above and log in through paypal. If the $32 isn't there I'd be cancelling that Credit Card

15. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Even a fraudulent website can do use the https protocol, so looking for https:// isn't enough. It has to be https://www.paypal.com/ with nothing else following the last slash. It is possible to spoof a link with the first part of it appearing to be https://www.paypal.com but with a bunch of characters trailing after that will actually take you elsewhere.