Weird sleeping patterns when taking a nap

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

This has been with me ever since I was very young, just wondering if anyone else goes through it too. If I take a nap in the middle of the day, wake up then try to go to sleep at night weird things happen. When I finally do fall asleep at night, I find that I want to wake back up, but can't. It's like I can't breathe and I'm staring blankly at the wall fully aware of what's going on, but am lifeless. It is pretty freaky as you can imagine.
    The worst was today (and really why I'm posting). I was actually taking the nap and couldn't wake up but desperately wanted to. I think I had a dream about a guy trying to take my pen away from me but I resisted. When I opened my eyes expecting to stare blankly at the wall again I saw the guy kneeling down on the floor, leaning against my bed still trying to take the pen and giving me a weird look.
    I finally did wake up, but was so tired I tried to get right back to taking my nap. This is really what scared me. I thought faintly of the idea of a spirit trying to keep me asleep, but thought it was nonsense. Just as I fell back to sleep my body shook very violently, felt like I was being electrocuted or had dual SVS's in my chest (hey this is an HT board [​IMG]). I woke up with a "huuhhhh!!" and didn't even try to go back to sleep this time. I've had bad nightmares before, but never woke up saying something. It was the middle of a sunny day and the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. Plus my chest hurt (not badly) a good 10 min after I woke up.
    So what do you think, the result of a not-so-natural sleeping pattern or an innocent man that was sent to the chair trying to contact me? [​IMG] I'm pretty sure it's the first, just wondering if any of you guys go through something similar when taking afternoon naps.
    NOTE: My username is Scott L, not Scott Hayes. [​IMG]

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It sounds to me like a combination of sleep paralysis combined with nightmarish dreams. Maybe you should lay off the horror flicks for a while! [​IMG]
    Taking the afternoon nap makes it harder to fall asleep at night, so that's probably why you're more prone to having the vivid dreams under those circumstances. In any case I think it's all in your head, and not caused by evil spirits. [​IMG]
    Sometimes I'll have similar experiences (vivid or lucid dreams or partial awakening/sleep paralysis) during a nap or when I have trouble falling asleep at night. I've never had anyone try to steal my pen though. Maybe you should put your pen away when you go to bed! [​IMG]
    When you fell asleep again perhaps you had muscle spasms in your chest, creating the SVS effect and sore muscles later on. Did you eat or drink before taking your nap?
    KJP

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yep, definitely sleep paralysis.
    Forget about the afternoon nap, sounds like you are getting the sleep you need without it. If you oversleep, it will be harder to sleep at night, but also (paradoxically) you will feel more tired during the day. Lay off the naps and you should be back to normal. [​IMG]

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ahhh, I did some research on SP and it turns out there are many other freaks like me. [​IMG] Sleep paralysis is definitely scary, but nice to know others go through it too. Thanks. (It actually feels kinda cool to know when I can control the SP or not)
    As for the SVS effect, I still hav eno clue what brought that on. I didn't eat anything before the nap and usually take a nap around this time. I've had spasms before, but this was something different (or maybe I was too tired to tell).
    Here's a quote on some guy's case-
    "I recall falling asleep and dreaming about something related to cars... I woke up suddenly. My eyes felt wide open and I felt awake but I could not move. I was soaked in sweat and had heart palpitations ... I was terrified if I move something was behind me or could not get the energy to move any part of my body ... I remember looking around my room and seeing my computer on and everything seemed normal but then I still felt like I was asleep ... my dream was continuing even though I was awake ... all of a sudden out of the blue this tremendous pounding of my heart and a feeling like I was falling and there was this incredible amount of pressure being applied to my head as if it were going to explode then I heard this loud siren or buzzing extremely loud in my ear I thought I would loose contact with reality and becoming crazy but it lasted 15-30 seconds and poof gone .."

5. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Has anyone ever had SP not lying on your back? All of my experiences have been in that position. Once I was on my side and felt a wave of energy pass through my body. I don't know if that would be described as SP.

~T

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

heheh Scott, your Haunted House thread really gave me the willies! I was just joking about the fact that 2 ghost story threads were by 2 Scotts.

Thi, I get em in all positions, SP of course. The worst part is that I usually sleep on my stomach. Being half-awake while your nose is in your pillow has woke me up simply because I couldn't breathe, and this is WHILE being in SP. no good!

8. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

Great... ive been having problems sleeping lately now i dont think i will ever go to sleep again!! the worst is when you are almost asleep and your whole body jerks involuntarily... freaks me out everytime!!!

9. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Rusty, I hate that too. Being from California, I think it's an earthquake at first.

~T

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

11. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

A guy I work with and I have discussed dreams quite a bit. We both have some really odd dreams, but only during short periods of sleep. If we take a nap, we have a weird dream, but if we sleep straight through the night, we either don't have any dreams or don't remember them.

My weirdest dream involved my Jeep being way bigger than it really is, me driving it off a cliff, and then later ending up at a Kiss costume party. There was some other stuff that happened too, it was pretty damn weird.

12. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have had SP while NOT lying on my back. For me, once it starts, I can't get up. I can sense when it starts because a loud swirling noise gets louder and louder. I also can hold it back if I try to open my mouth, but it forces me not to open it. I have to force myself up to get out of the SP. But if I just lie back down, it starts up again, whether or not I sleep on my back. I usually have to get up walk around for a few minutes, then go back to sleep for it to go away. It only happens once in a while.

Once, in the morning, when it rarely happens, a police siren set it off. The sound of the siren swirled and repeated through my head. The worst case I ever had. I have had them since I was 13, and am now 40.

Like others, it feels like I'm stuck halfway in a dream, but it is so intense, my first instinct is to get out of it, I tried to just sleep in it, but it doesn't work.

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

welp I had some more sleep paralysis today. I accidentally took a nap, but the whole time, I though my roommate was mocking me for falling asleep while my buddy mike from down the hall came in to tease me. Too bad my roommate left to go home for easter yesterday!

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh, I read somewhere that taking naps very much increases your chances of recalling your dreams. Something about not being too deep in REM sleep, since you already had sufficient sleep from the previous night. Hence, when you nap, you are in a light sleep, and your brain would be closer to consciousness than normal, and the better your dream recall will be. It is possible that at night you don't remember sleep paralysis events as often.

So, if you had a dreamless sleep, wake up, then go back to sleep a few minutes or even a couple ofhours laters, you'll dramatically increase your chances of sleep paralysis, dream recall, or lucid dreaming. Neat huh?

15. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Books I read a few years ago by Robert A. Monroe describes the above symptoms as symptoms of an Out Of Body Experience. If anyone would like to check out the books (which I found to be excellent, BTW), you can search for Robert Monroe on Amazon.

16. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Man, I really feel like a thread killer. [​IMG]