Weird Science?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ColeKR, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ColeKR

ColeKR Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if there was a chance of this show ever coming to DVD? Is anybody else interested in this coming to DVD?

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I don't know whether I'd buy it on DVD -- I guess I would, if the price wasn't too high -- but I did like this show quite a bit. Perhaps because most of the staff came from "Parker Lewis Can't Lose," it was funnier and smarter than you'd expect from a show based on a movie that even John Hughes described as "dopey-ass," the cast was good (the pre-Oz Lee Tergesen as the psychotic older brother) and the special effects were generally very good. It did start to suck toward the end when they re-tooled it (to make Tergesen's character sympathetic, among other things), but that's nothing new. The episodes I remember best include the one where they're trapped in a horror movie and have to draw on their knowledge of horror conventions in order to survive (this pre-dated Scream by more than a year), and the episode with a pre-Buffy Emma Caulfield as a girl who steals the guys' "computer genie" away from them.

Wow, I remember more about this show than I thought. Okay, I guess I would buy it. (Universal owns it, I think.)

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

I don't remember those episodes, although I do remember enjoying the show. The episode I remember the most is the Star-spangled butt kicker or whatever his name is. He even had the butt signal.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'd probably buy this show on DVD, of course I'd also buy Superdave on DVD so I'll pretty much buy anything.

5. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

YES. One of my top five shows of all time. I'd definitely pay a reasonable price to have all four seasons on DVD. I pray that we get this one day.

6. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

I've voted for it. It never shows up in syndication in my area (at least, not on any channels in my cable package) and I really enjoyed it when it used to be on. I'd love to see it again from the beginning.

7. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

If you've got WAM, you can catch episodes there, as they recently began airing the series. I enjoyed it when I watched it years ago. I guess I'm more content with the cablecasts than owning potential dvds of this one.

8. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

You bet! Very funny series. I only caught about 1.5 seasons (as much as was shown here in the UK) - they screened it at ~1am in the morning over here (I only discovered it because they put it on before Chicago Hope!).

10. Jayron Gummo

Jayron Gummo Extra

I have Comcast Digital Cable and you can watch the shows on Starz On Demand when ever you want under the On Demand/Starz/Series Menu. [​IMG]

11. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

No offense to the fans. But, I cannot believe this show lasted 5 years. I barely remember this show. I am not saying it is bad. I am shocked that it would succeed. As USA recently has been so quick to cancel shows if they are not doing boffo in the ratings. ie-Peacemakers.

12. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I loved this show! Plus how could it go wrong with Venessa Angel. There even was a Chett Insult Generator on the web somewhere.

I'll get the first couple seasons if it ever comes on DVD.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Been a year, any news on this making a debut on DVD?

14. Kieran Brown

Kieran Brown Agent

I loved this show. I'm not sure if we saw all the episodes here in Australia, but most of them.
    My favourite would have to be Bikini Camp Slasher. (oops, forgot to type it in so had to edit [​IMG] .)
    Melrose Place will probably be released before this show, and Vanessa Angel is in 2 episodes in Season 1, not that I can recall that cause I haven't seen it in quite a while, just read it at imdb.
    Who would be the distributor for Weird Science?

15. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

My guess is Universal.

16. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I would love this show.

Vanessa Angel was so freaking hot. I actually found a few episodes on an old VHS tape.

17. John*P

John*P Second Unit

I love the movie, but have never seen the Weird Science tv series. I would definitely check out the show on DVD, tho. I believe it currently airs on a digital cable channel called "WHAM!" or something like that. (or at least it used to...)

18. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I just found the show on WAM yesterday. Too bad it's the later seasons where Chet learns about Lisa - still good fun. Can't wait to make this part of my regular viewing schedule again.