weird science/woman in red - available?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stewart borland, Mar 6, 2002.

1. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

Can someone tell me if either Woman In Red or Weird Science are, or have ever, been available on DVD?

If not, does anyone know anything about a possible release date?

Thanks,

2. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

i thought that i saw wierd science available at one time, but i don't know who released it, might have been image or something like that. but I'm not sure.

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I think it was Image. I think the music was different than the theatrical release.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Weird Science was available. I know because I have a copy. I believe it is now OOP.

5. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

yeah i'm pretty sure the image disk is oop.
    wonder if its going to be part of the john hughes collection when it comes out [​IMG] that would be nice, been wanting this on dvd

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

if I recall, it was pulled because the rights are now UNIVERSAL'S again, and it's supposed to be included on the John Hughes boxset they've been working on.

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, Image even pissed Universal off by flooding the market with low priced DVDs of films they were getting ready to lose back to Universal.

Anyway, 16 Candles, Weird Science, etc were Image releases in Snapper cases. Good enough, but waiting for the Hughes box set will probably pay off nicely for those that don't have this discs.

Boy, doing a search at some basic places shows no sign at all now. I can't believe copies aren't around someplace if you look. I recall Best Buy having many of these really cheap about a year ago, so maybe the stock did get depleated.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Woman in Red was scheduled to come out last year, but MGM cancelled it at the last minute for unknown reasons. Maybe it has to do with the coming Hughes collection...sometimes MGM will deal their stuff out to other studios to be part of director-themed box sets. Here's the box art they were GONNA use, courtesy of Image Entertainment:
    [​IMG]
    Weird Science was indeed an Image Release, and everything that was posted about Universal's complaint about flooding the market with cheap discs is pretty much on-the-mark. It's definately OOP now, but you can still find it around. If you're desperate, try Border's. They get a LOT of the OOP Image/Universal stuff. But, I too recommend waiting for the eventual reissue. Here's the old cover art:
    [​IMG]

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I would buy the new release if it's anamorphic (the old one isn't).

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I would like see Weird Science re-released with a nice transfer and the entire original soundtrack.