What's new

Weird region-change on Denon DVD-2800. (1 Viewer)

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, my player is region locked to region 2.
Some time ago I watched Toy Story region 2, I then checked my firmware before I shut down and went to bed (I may have pressed some buttons while checking). As I powered up to watch another region 2 movie the day after I got "wrong region" on the display every time, so I decided to try a region 1 movie, Alien, and it worked perfectly. ) I got really curious as to how I had accomplished changing the region from 2 to 1 and went through the firmware-check again, pressing "2" and other buttons on the remote when in firmware-check mode. As a result of this it went back to region 2.
BTW, the Toy Story DVD stopped after 47 minutes due to extreme scratches on the surface of the disc. It was a rental!
I'm borrowing this DEMO-player from the shop untill they get new ones on store. For some reason the dealer still hasn't been able to get hold of a player yet, after two months. It's the only Denon-dealer in Norway (Hi-Fi Klubben). I wonder why! I hope Denon is fixing problems.
Anyway, I managed to change the region again yesterday. I was playing a CD for maybe half an hour decided to watch a movie. I opened the drawer and left it open while I went to put the CD back in it's cover. I decided to give the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon DVD a try again. I inserted it and plessed play. The drawer closed and VOILA! It worked. I spent the rest of the evening watching Alien Ressurection, region 1!
It seems like the player goes into a US-mode, because the SCART-plug doesn't work when it's in this mode. This kinda sucks because it means I can't use the RGB-connection between the player and TV for watching region 1.
Making the player region 2 again is simply a matter of looking at the firmware-code. My firmware is 5208, BTW!
If anyone knows what I did that changed the regions please reply as I have been unable to find out myself. I have tried several combinations with no luck.
Tor Arne Hustvedt
Norway

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, I did it again today. When I got up today I went to the living room and turned on the reciever, DVD-player and TV. The DVD-player had no disc in it and I just left it like that for maybe an hour. It had turned itself into standby and I had to turn it on again. I now noticed that the blue background was darker than usual, signifying that it was using composite-signal instead of RGB. :) "Can it be?" I thought and inserted Crouching Tiger Hiddeen Dragon and it played. :)
Seems like the player just changes randomly to me. It's weird that I am the only one to ever experience this. Had to believe actually. It's also weird that I have a US firmware (5208) when I have an EURO player which should have EURO firmware (2208).
Regards,
Tor Arne Hustvedt
Norway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks