weird rack mount spacing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schick, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Do you have any rack-mountable equipment that doesn't exactly fit?
    I tried to mount my CI scaler in my rack and it doesn't line up correctly with any of the screw holes.
    What have you done to remedy the problem?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.

2. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

How about an electric drill with a bit for metal? :>) That may end up being the only way to get holes in the right places. And if you are careful, measuring and marking exactly where to drill, presumably you won't have a lot of trial scars on the rails. :>)
    Burke

3. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the problem is that the unit isn't standard size.
    1 rack space is 1.75 inches , 2 spaces = 3.75".
    the CI unit is like 2" high.
    The holes on the ears actually DO line up with a set of holes. BUT, no matter were I place it, there are always gaps above and below the unit between other "normal" height equipment.
    ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
    Why can't manufacturers think about this if they advertise their equipment as rack mountable.
    What have you done to fill the odd sized spaces?
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.

4. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

You could try making a face plate to go around it that would line up with a three space unit and drill holes in the face plate to match up with the proper holes on the rack. Can you remove the rack ears from the unit? If so, put the unit with the rack ears removed on a rack mount shelf and make a face plate for it to cover up the excess space.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Steve,
    Here are a few options:
    [*]Contact the manufacturer. They have a ready-made faceplate for rack mounting situations.[*]Middle Atlantic may be able to supply you with a faceplate. If not, they can custom-make one for you if you ship the unit to them. This is the most expensive option but it shouldn’t be excessive.[*]Any pro-audio store can sell you a two-space blank. If you’re handy with a jig saw, you can make your own face plate.
    The only problem with the last two options is that you will probably have to live with a black faceeplate.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt