Weird question: Do you know of any small speakers that run on batteries?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andres Munoz, May 21, 2003.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I wasn't sure where to post this so if any admin needs to move this to the right forum, by all means, do so.

I'm going camping with a few friends and I was put in charge of music. Most of my music is on MP3s in my computer.

I'm planning to buy a portable CD/MP3 player and burn as many MP3s as I can on a few CDs.

I'm looking for a pair of speakers that I can plug into the portable CD/MP3 player but since there will be no electricity at the camp site, I can't use the power adapter that comes with most speakers.

So are there any that run on batteries? (I should mention that I don't want to spend too much money on the speakers either, let's say under $100).

If not, are there any other suggestions?

2. DarwinU

DarwinU Extra

do you or any of your friends have a boombox that can be battery powered? If so, you can just buy a cassette adapter and use it in the boombox.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ARZgYV2....asp?I=142PCA1
    I've done this before, mind you the cassete "door" won't shut all the way because of the wire (unless you want to chip a small piece of plastic off the corner). Just another option to consider...

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

It depends. If you're willing to carry a large battery you could probably use a 12V amplifier and any cheap speakers you have lying around. I don't know if you can do any better than a little boom box using usual batteries. Besides, any battery based system is going to have a limited life on one charge and won't go very loud. Might be a better idea to just have everyone bring headphones instead.

4. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Somebody told me that there are boomboxes that play MP3s. Is this true?

5. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit