What's new

Weird question about Mac Pro & additional hard drive (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have a Mac Pro, and I also have a LaCie 500GB Big Disk External Hard Drive than went poof last year.

I wonder if it is at all possible to retrieve the data by taking out the two hard drives from the LaCie and putting it into the Mac Pro.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what you mean by "went poof". If it's a problem with the enclosure, and the disks are fine, you might be able to do what you propose. If the hard drive crashed (head crash, or other hardware failure within the drive) then probably not. A crashed disk is a crashed disk no matter if it's in the enclosure or in your Mac Pro.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If it was two 250GB drives striped together to make 500GB, then it's a bit trickier, since to read them, the RAID controller -- hardware or software -- has to stripe them the same way to see your data as it was. Otherwise it's a jigsaw puzzle.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ken is correct. It was two 250 GB drives.

There was a chip that caused them to read as one. That chip failed.

I recently installed an additional 1TB of space. All I want is the data back.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I would contact LaCie and see if there's any technical info that might help. You may be able to do software RAID directly on the Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks