Weird powerdown problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_A, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

I have a Onkyo 676 and just yesterday while I was trying out my new DTS Demo 3 it shut down during one of the scenes. I tried the same scene over and it stopped in the same spot. Played with it again today but couldn't get it to do it on that track but it did it on another one. I haven't been able to get the problem to reproduce on other disks.
    Is this a problem with the disk, my components or what? I thought the source might be overloading the receiver but it isn't hot and my system handles reference with no problem.
    Brett

2. Brett_A

No ones has had a similar problem? I played stuff all last night and only had a problem with that disk. Is there even a way it could be the disk?
    ------------------
    Brett

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Bret,
    How loud are you playing the scene when the amp shuts down? I'm just wondering if the receiver is clipping and going into protect mode.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

4. Brett_A

Playing at reference but the material I was playing isn't exceptional loud. It is the receiver that is shuting off just in case there is any confusion(as I have a amp for my sub too). My systems handles everything I have thrown at it even Haunting at reference or other loud bass seens. What is weird is it won't always shut down each time at reference just sometimes and on no other disks I have tried.
    ------------------
    Brett

5. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hmm...a friend of mine had a similar problem with one scene in gladiator(maximus uses shield to hit other famous gladiator in face mask). I think we had it on too loud though. It was probably because we had the system volume level at what would have been reference for dolby digital, but since the dts track is around >=+5dB louder, it was pushing his receiver too hard.

6. Brett_A

I thought it may have been something like that as well. The scene it shut down was Apollo 13 on the demo DTS #3. I then tried my full copy of Apollo 13 at the same part and it played flawlessly. I have a small room so at reference it is not working hard at all. It is a much lower level than in my main room. I play all my material at reference and have played the most rigorous of DVDs and it has never failed which is why I am thinking this may be a problem with the disk.
    ------------------
    Brett

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Brett,
    I had a similar thing happen on the Airforce One DVD. If I set my treble too high at reference volume my receiver will shut down at the exact same place when the jets do a fly around Airforce one. Try and turn the treble down a few clicks and see if it still happens. If it does then the receivers amp was clipping.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater