Weird phone call from the police.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Oct 7, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The police called earlier asking for my mom. I told them no, and they proceeded to ask me questions about cats. They asked if I have any cats which I said yes. They asked how many and if I was missing one and I said 3 and no. They asked if the cats were here, and I said they are inside cats, and yes they were all here, because they were all near the phone. They then asked if I lived near Brady Ave, which I then said no, because it's clear across town from where I live. They finally said that a missing cat was found, and tested positive for rabies. I dumbfounded by this call, because we never reported a missing cat, and they had my mom's name and our number but had the wrong address.

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Sounds like a scam, most likely kids or someone you know pulling your leg. If I ever get a call from the cops asking personal questions, I tell them to send a crawler by with a uniformed officer that I can talk to. If they aren't willing to do that, then the info must not be very important.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, really. You're supposed to do a '*69' after you hang up to check the number.

Glenn

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Presumably they found a cat with rabies, in the vicinity of Brady, and had information that the owner was someone with your mother's name or one similar to it. Then they went to the phone book and started calling those people in the order they were listed. Not especially mysterious. However, you could have asked for the person's name, and which police station he or she was calling from, and offered to call back. I've done this with a few calls that I thought were leg-pulls, including one from a local radio station. But when I looked up the station's number and called it, I found that the person I had been speaking to did indeed work there and we were reconnected.
    *69 doesn't help that much in a situation like this, because even a prankster would have enough sense to answer the phone "Nashua Police" or whatever if the phone rang within a minute of his hanging up. Caller ID is much more useful in these cases. (Although some outbound lines from police stations won't tell you their source, for obvious reasons.)
    This doesn't sound like a prank call, because most prank calls have a point. [​IMG] They get the victim to do something (go out into the street, repeast a nonsense phrase), they give the caller a chance to deliver the punchline ("Do you have Prince Albert in the can?"), or they set the victim up to look like an idiot to others (telling them they've won a contest so that they'll brag to their friends.) The phone call you describe really doesn't have any kind of pay-off for a prankster, and that's always the reason behind such calls.

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Give me a break. The cops don't call citizens and question them over the phone about cats with rabies. If they ARE infact calling you, rest assured the cops know exactly where you live and who they are calling. If something is terribly wrong and they need to speak with someone they make house calls....

6. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

*69 nor caller ID will do you any good if the person hit *70 before calling you...

Chris

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Cats with rabies: animal aspects are usually handled by Animal Control; possible human rabies exposure is usually handled by County Health Department. Police usually do not get involved unless there is criminal activity involved.

9. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That was the whole idea. If it was really the police they wouldn't block the number. Also, in some cities, the government phone numbers are on prefixes that citizens cannot have. You wouldn't have to reconnect, just get the number.

Glenn

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It depends on how bored cops are. In cities you would never see that. In rural areas if they dont have a seperate animal control unit, why not?
    Simplest thing would be to call the police and ask them if that was a valid call. They shouldn't get upset over that.... and if it wasn't them, they would like to know someone is impersonating a cop over the phone.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

In alot of cities, call block will not work against Police Dept numbers, your phone would have rang even without a number on the caller ID

14. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor