weird patch of color in corner of my new Sony WEGA's display

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelLGallo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. MichaelLGallo

MichaelLGallo Auditioning

I just brought home a 27FS100 Sony with a Trinitron tube. It appears to have an off-color patch about 2" x 3" in the very upper lefthand corner of the display. The patch is only moderately apparent when watching most programming, but when a solid color background is up it tends to show as purplish (on a red background) or greenish (on a blue background). Very distracting and unacceptable in the long term. Is this a flaw in the tube, or something that I can adjust my way out of? I haven't had the chance to try a DVD yet to see if the same thing happens.

Thanks in advance.

2. John Ch

John Ch Auditioning

You have a purity problem on your TV. There are six different ways to get rid of color patch.

1) Put magnets behind the picture tube
    2) Adjust the position of yoke coil on the picture tube
    3) Replace the picture tube if the above procedure is failed
    4) Live with it
    5) Move magnetic equipment (Speakers) away from TV
    6) Return the TV and get exchanged.

Steps 1 to 3 have to be serviced by authorized service depots.
    Steps 4 to 6 are do-it-yourself solutions.

By the way, purity problems are very common on big screen TV.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I had the same exact color problems on my 36" Panasonic. There appear to be color blotches running along the top of my picture tube. The colors are exactly how you describe, purplish on a red background and greenish on a blue, and yellowish on a white background. They had gotten worse since buying and isntalling my Pioneer dual woofer center channel speaker. I moved the speaker back about 6 inches and adjusted the picture (contrast) and brightness controls and the splotches have diminished a great deal although they are still faintly present, they are not as pronounced and have gotten smaller. I have to look really hard to notice them now.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The chroma distortion being described here almost always is due to magnetic sources such as unshielded speakers being positioned too closely to the display. This sort of thing can become permanent. Move your speakers farther away from the set.

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i have this problem on my 36" jvc HDTV
    i had a techinican out and he told me i will need a new tube.
    He said it will be like $1000+ but i only have had it for 3 months and my 3 year extended warranty covers it so i wont pay a penny.

mine may have somethign to do since it was a floor model.
    i hope my new tube doesnt cause more problems.
    it should be in next week sometime.

my yoke was glued to my tube so no adjustment was possible, why do they sometimes glue them to the tubes?

6. MichaelLGallo

MichaelLGallo Auditioning

Thanks for your help everyone. Moving the speakers away from the TV has taken care of the problem for now.