Weird packaging for the Godfather set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Oct 19, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I got the Godfather set the other day for my birthday. It came in this plastic packaging you usually see for hand held electronic games like Yahtzee and poker. I have never seen any DVDs sold in this packaging before. Is this normal packaging for some Godfather sets? I don't ever remember seeing any Godfather sets in this packaging before.

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

That's really weird. Mine just came in the standard cardboard box with shrinkwrap. Maybe they changed the packaging or your set was bought used.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Are you talking about a blister pack?? I know Sam's Club sells most of their DVD box sets sealed in blister packs (Star Trek: TNG, Oz, Friends, etc). Perhaps that's where the giftgiver purchased it.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It doesn't look used. The whole thing looks brand new. It it is the cardboard box, but the box was surrounded by the plastic packaging.

Edit: Yea that's the packaging Craig. The nearest Sam's Club is a half hour away. Maybe they got it from BJ's, which is a similar place as Sam's Club. I dunno if they do the same with the packaging, but I wouldn't be surprised since they are similar places.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Nice birthday score, Stephen! [​IMG]

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a blister pak? I know digipaks, snappers, amarays, doule amaryas and alphas of all sizes, but not familiar with blister paks.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chris, ever notice how in, say, Radio Shack you find cables and other electronics goodies packaged in a cardboard and molded-plastic sheet which is surrounded by clear molded plastic that can be a bitch to remove? That's a blister pack.

And, Stephen, you'll find DVDs packaged thusly at many B&M retailers, along with a chip that alerts instore theft-detection devices at the doors. It's an anti-theft measure. Since you probably purchase most of your discs online, you never see those dastardly packages.

Oh, and happy birthday, and nice to hear your mother is doing well.

8. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Blister packs are so named because that's what you get on your fingers when you try to open them without using scissors. [​IMG]

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Thanks Jack. I only ordered one disc online. I guess I'm not observant enough when I'm in the DVD section of stores. Either that, or I don't shop at enough stores to see packaging like this.

10. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Ah yes, THOSE awful things. They actually release DVDs in them? That's just evil incarnate. Tell me that they enclose a normal package in the blister, and don't just stick the disc in there.