What's new

Weird. My New Bela Fleck DVD-A is a CD. (1 Viewer)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i recently ordered his "tales from the acoustic planet, vol.2" dvda, and although the packaging and liner notes clearly state and allude to it being a dvda, the disc is a damn CD. it's weird because it's one of the few (if not the only dvdas) that i have whose jewel-case is indistinguishable from a cd case. i wonder how many were shipped out like this? did i just fall off the turnip truck, and this is already a known problem?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The only Bela Fleck DVD-A on the market is the second Tales From Acoustic Planet (bluegrass sessions). There is no DVD-A of the first.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
ok, ok, edited. the dvda is what i bought. it's without a doubt absolutely a CD, identical, exactly, to the one i already own.

it's being returned, but like i said, i wonder how many shipped like this?

i got it from cc online, btw.

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
I have a bona fide DVD-A which came in a special jewel case. Sounds great, although I know some puists don't care for the experience of being in the center of the surround mix.
Jim

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yes, I have seen this before. About a year ago, after I had owned the DVD-A for a while, I was rummaging through a Best Buy and found the DVD-A labeling on a redbook-sized case. Since I didn't buy it, I didn't know what was inside. I believe this case had the redbook scan number (don't recall for sure) - easy enough to compare with unambiguous DVD-A and redbook cases, as both were present.

I generally prefer 2-channel, but this DVD-A is essential as a surround (and it comes only with a surround track, irrespective of what the packaging states). It works with the "you-in-the-middle-of-the-band" mode, IMO, because of the bluegrass/acoustic genre and the fact that the photos of where they apparently put the album together reinforce the imagery of you hanging out with the band in the living room while they're playing. The instrument locations are consistent throughout.

Doug

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, it's been returned. it was strange. clearly printed, in ink, on the back jewel-box insert was the dvd-a logo and the warning that it required not just a dvd player but a dvdA player to access the hirez dvda tracks. it's even weirder that, apparently, all the dvdas of this disc ARE in the right size box. it might make a little sense if the inserts WERE interchangeable, but they're not. someone screwed up.

Gary_W

Auditioning
I had the exact same problem when I ordered the disc a year or two back from Amazon. I received the redbook that did have the dvd-a logo on it. The real dvd-a does not come in a standard redbook case but in a regular dvd-a case. It was a pain in the ass getting the correct one finally shipped to me, but eventually was worth the trouble.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you but I would prefer that all discs (CD, DVD-A etc...) came in a standard size case juse for storage purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks