Weird happenings on my 40H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Basil Theologus, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Basil Theologus

Basil Theologus Auditioning

Last night I was watching Rainman on one of the Dish Network HBO stations when my tv make a popping sound. The picture then seemed to implode.....similar to when you save a service level convergence. Now I did a search on this forum and found that this could be caused by impurities dropping in the crt's and causing an arc or something like that. Well, the problem is that my tv now has these two or three faint lines making a sort of curved zig-zag down my screen on all inputs and picture sizes. The lines are different colors......although they are quite dark. You can only see them when there is something dark on the screen. However, they are quite noticable.
    Well, that is all the information that I have. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know what to do.....Can I fix it or do I need a service call?
    Any help is much appreciated.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Time to call for service, I would think...
    - Steve

3. Basil Theologus

Basil Theologus Auditioning

Probably so Steve.....I just took another look at it, and the lines seem to be fading.....not sure if this is from the set being cold or if they are going away, but I am going to give it another day or two before I call. I hate have service people come out when I can't show them what is wrong.
    Anyway, I will keep you guys updated for future reference.....if it happens to one set, it will probably happen to others.

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I've had a TW40x81 since fall of 1999. It has done this twice so far, with no apparent lasting effects thankfully.