What's new

Weird flickering problem (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
A few of the DVDs that I have bought have this problem where every time the film changes from frame to frame, it has a flicker at the bottom of the picture. It is very annoying, and recently, more DVDs that I get are having the problem. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anyway to get rid of it without getting rid of the DVD? This is very distracting when I'm trying to watch a film, and I'm getting tired of it.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
From frame to frame? That is a great deal of flickering, isn't it? Are you sure that this is what you meant to say?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Every time the shot changes to another shot. Like a shot of a guy then changes to a shot of something he's looking at. That's what I mean.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Probably a hardware problem, either the player or the TV. I had a similar problem, though apparently not quite as bad as yours. It wouldn't happen when watching cable or a VHS tape, but it would on DVDs. I bought a new TV, and it doesn't happen any more.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like a hardware problem. Try using the player on another television. This should tell you which piece of hardware is the problem.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Have you thought about the macrovision? I believe the macrovision is at the bottom of the frame, maybe your tv is having problems dealing with it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't see how it could be a hardware problem, as I've taken the DVDs to two other different player (a friend's and a relative's), and they had the same problem on them. Also, its only certain DVDs. Some of teh problematic DVDs are Stagefright, Body Snatchers, and the new They Live and Halloween III DVDs.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I have now been through three They Live DVDs and two Halloween III DVDs, and I'm getting really, really pissed! :angry: Has anyone here bought either of these DVDs yet? If so, could you please let me know if you're having the same problem. I'd really appreciate it.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
As the films you listed are all older films, it's likely you're seeing the actual film splices. (They sometimes cause a tiny "glitch" at the very bottom of the frame.) FYI, It's also visible on The Rocketeer. There's no way to get rid of it short of over-matting the print when transferring to DVD.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Well, since you've completely dismissed the idea that it's probably a hardware problem even though it obviously is, don't think you're going to get any help. I can't imagine that all of those discs are defective in the same way, and you seem to be the only person getting these defects.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Antony. Looks like I'll just have to rebuy the Image and Goodtimes versions I sold off.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
With my Apex 600A I often get a strange break-up of some kind as one shot replaces another - it's nearly subliminal and most people wouldn't notice, but I do. Like a single frame of thin horizontal black lines flashing across the image. Haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it - it seems random, and occurs regardless of aspect ratio settings or region settings. Does seem only to occur on more recent letterbox movies - almost never with older films or full frame. So your issue could very well be a hardware one, too.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I never did rule out the hardware problem, I just said that it seemed really odd as I've tried several of the DVDs on five different players and TVs. If it is a hardware problem, I really don't know what to do, so I guess I'll just go on and replace the discs.

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a same type of problem with trailers on dvd's.When there's some type of explosion,gun shot something blows up in a scene during the trailer it flickers for a sec.Anyone know why this would happen?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Louis, I'm just guessing here (hopefully it will spark other answers), but I wonder if it has to do with the LFE channel? Maybe there's a bad connection to the sub and whenever the reciever tries to access the LFE, the disturbance screws with the tv? - Just a thought.

I had a 3 year old DVD player that needed a hardware upgrade. Whenever a loud part of the film would happen, the sound would drop out. Not that this is the case with you, but DVD decoding isn't a flawless technology.

Lyle

Auditioning
i get a flicker sometimes in some of the old pink panther movies when they change from one shot to another. i've had this problem on apex, jvc, panasonic and toshiba dvd players. I think it's something to do with the film itself and not a hardware problem. I agree with an earlier post that said it's almost subliminal.

i always wonder if the other people watching the movie notice it....

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
"Louis, I'm just guessing here (hopefully it will spark other answers), but I wonder if it has to do with the LFE channel? Maybe there's a bad connection to the sub and whenever the reciever tries to access the LFE, the disturbance screws with the tv? - Just a thought."

Hey Mark,How come it only happens during the trailers when there's an explosion,gun shot etc... and not in the actual film itself? Wouldn't it have the same problem during the movie when those scenes appear? I don't know I'm lost
:b

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i remember seeing this EXACT phenomenon all over the Blade Runner dvd. Have you watched that dvd?

i haven't tried it on my new progressive scan setup and my new (bigger) tv. it may have something to do with specific setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks