What's new

Weird feeling after leaving a job.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I've had the same job for about a year and a half now, it was my first "real" job outside of places that I wored in high school. My first 40-45 hour a week job, where I actually had responsibility etc etc...

I had grown over the past few months to despise this job, not so much the people who I worked with, but the job itself. I got hammered with more and more responsibility, and my dept never got any help.

Friday was my last day at that job, and now it's Monday morning, and I feel weird that I am not at work. It's like I have some sort of weird attachment to that place, and I still care about the people I worked with, and what is going on there even though I am no longer an employee at that office.

My Co-workes last friday had a little party for me before I left, Cake and Ice-cream and stuff like that, which was suprising becuase I didnt ask for any of it, I took it as a nice gesture from nice people who I had really grown close to over my year and a half there...

So like I said its Monday now, and I have a week off before I start my new job, and I just feel weird that Im not at "work" there.....It's just a really weird feeling..

Maybe I'm crazy...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nah, you're not crazy. It's just a change in your routine that you've had over the past year and a half, and you know in your mind that it's different from a vacation because you're not going back in a week. Plus you're leaving what's familiar and moving on to someplace new.

My first "real" job out of college lasted nearly 8 years until I left for reasons similar to yours. It's been 3 years since I left, but I still keep in touch with some of the people and try and get news of what's going on. Figure if I live to be 80, I worked 10% of my entire life at that office, so it's hard to just break it off.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Jobs can be like relationships. Just because you break up with someone, doesn't mean you either don't love them anymore or it didn't mean anything.

Pulling yourself away from a long standing job (or relationship) is not always going to be an easy thing to do no matter how much it drove you crazy.

So yes, you're not crazy.

I can't imagine being anywhere else but here. I've been at the same job since I was 20, I am now 31. Although the job sucks, I would really miss it if I were to leave

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you think you feel weird now, just wait until you show up at your new job next Monday!

Oh, and take advantage of the week off. This is a good time to get some projects done, if you have any.

Best of luck at your new job!

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks