Weird Denon AVR-3200 problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Vargas, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

I have a Denon AVR-3200 that's about 5-6 years old and wanted to know if anyone had heard of the following problem.

When listening to Dolby Digital material, the center channel either is gone, or comes in and out sounding very scratchy, as if there were a loose connection. I've confirmed by swapping cables and speakers that it's not a loose connection--in fact, I've recently swapped out the whole d*mn receiver with another one, as it was getting quite annoying.

Note that this is ONLY with DD material. Example: I watched an episode of Buffy Season 2 on the system and had no problems with the signal from the center channel. Ejected that, put in something with a 5.1 soundtrack and boom, goodbye center channel.

I took it to a service center and paid $85 for the privilege of (a) being without my receiver for three weeks and (b) having them tell me they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Anyhow, is this a known problem, is it worth fixing, or do you think it would be sellable in this condition?

Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did you check the speaker...? Swap the speaker to another channel, and if the problem follows, then it there is a good chance it is damaged.

3. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

As I said in my original message, I swapped both cables AND speakers, plus the center channel worked fine with non-DD source material, plus the center channel works fine now with a new receiver.

4. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Chris:

Sounds like a digital signal processor problem. The system seems to decode non-DD formats and the center channel works fine. That says the input, cables, and speaker work properly.

You didn't indicate whether you took the unit to a factory service center. It can be difficult to troubleshoot the problem to a component on some DSP circuit cards without proper training and test equipment. Even the factory would not take the time to do this, instead they would just replace the circuit card. If the unit is not under warranty, the fix may cost more than the unit is worth.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Have you checked the digital cable or tried a different DVD player?

6. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Thanks again for the replies.

Mike, I had taken it to a place that was listed in Denon's website as being an authorized service center. However, now when I go to the website they don't show up as an authorized center. Hmmm. Good to know that the repair at this point is probably not worth it.

Chuck, as I mentioned, I've swapped out the receiver altogether and don't hear the problem, so I'm pretty confident it's the receiver.

7. yahoo007

yahoo007 Auditioning

I too have a problem with my avr 3200.
    my center speaker wont play unless i crank it way too loud to start it and then turn it down to continue playing it. Ive swapped it to another output FL and it plays fine. Changed all the wiring and still the same. I was hoping to give it to and authorized tech. in the area but and idea of the problem before i bring it in will certainly help out.

thanks.

8. payam jafari

payam jafari Auditioning

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forums/threads/full_editor/posttype/reply/fullpageid/143192

9. payam jafari

payam jafari Auditioning

hi. I have this amp and same problem. this problem came from DSP card and you can do easy and free way to use dolby digital and dts too. contact your dvd 5.1 analog out to 5.1 input of amp. this is only way you can use and if your dvd or bluray have it. denon is very good sound but not heavy dutty. pioneer is better dutty. good luck