Weird decorating (paint) problem.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Rob Gillespie, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm currently painting my hallway with flat (matt) emulsion paint. This is now the third coat I'm applying (decided to change the colour with the third).

The problem I have is that after the paint has been on a few minutes, I get bubbles appearing. Not just the odd one, but quite a lot. There's areas of the wall that look like they've broken out in chicken-pox!

The previous occupants had painted the walls with a silk-finish emulsion (I presume anyway) but I don't know what was under that. I wonder if there's some weird chemcial reaction going on. It doesn't seem to matter how many layers I apply, I still get the bubbles.

Once the paint is dry, there are no surface changes.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

2. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Rob,

I'm no expert by a long shot but I did a google search and came up with one explination/solution.

http://paintingyourhouse.info/interior_paint.htm

Skip down to right above the Wallpaper section and read the paragraph above about surfaces painted with calcimine paint. Sounds like either washing it off or covering it with a real good sealer/primer may do the trick.

Good luck.

Brian

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It could be that the previous coats were not yet completely dry.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Wouldn't have thought so. The previous coats had been there weeks and the ones before that - years.

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

SOunds like the original paint is a oil pased paint. Emulsion (or latex here in the USA) paints do not like to be applied over oil based.

There are products made to de-gloss the oil or you can try to sand the heck out of it first.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Could be. I'll look into that.

Problem is now some of the small blisters have split open. I pull - and chunks of the paint - ALL of the paint I've applied during the last couple of months (3 coats) is now peeling in patches.

I think I'm just going to get it all plastered over. Worth a couple of hundred £.