Weird Comcast HD problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve_Cohen, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

Just got a comcast HD box here in CT and I noticed a weird problem. On all of the HD channels, there is a voice sync problem. In other words, the mouths move before the sound comes out like if your watching an old godzilla movie and the english was dubbed over the japaneese. Again this only happens on the HD channels. If I switch to the equivalent SD channel (CBS, NBC, ect.) you can see that it is not the broadcast. Anyone ever see or experience anything like this?? Also on the 2 INHD channels, there is noticable pixelation that you might see watching on a satalite during a heavy storm.

I do plan on exchanging the box this weekend but I was hoping for some insight into these situations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It may be the box or it may be the HD broadcast from the local cable company. I would try replacing the box first, if the problem persists, the cable company is probably going through some early HDTV jitters.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I was having alot of breakups and pixelization when I first got Comcast HD which was fixed with a new box. As for the the audio delay, there was one channel that had that problem(PBS), but none of the other HD channels exhibited that behavior, so I knew it was the broadcaster. It sounds like comcast's problem since all of them are doing it. You won't know for sure until you try the new box.

DJ

4. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Steve dude,

I recommend DishNetwork as a better solution. After two years of Comcast I've had it....

Dude,

Chester

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed Cinemax HD has had the lip sync problem a few times. It was VERY slight though. I havent tried the standard Cinemax though to compare.

6. Steve_Cohen

Thanks for the responses guys. I will let you know how I make out with the new box after I get it.

Chester - I am seriously considering it and may finally pull the plug if the new box does not resolve the issue.

Thanks Again

7. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I have comcast in Indianapolis and I have the same thing and its hit or miss. Last week for example the daytona 500 was absoutly horrible however you dont watch the announcers that much so I just ignored it. But I do have to watch sd at least half of the time.

8. Steve_Cohen

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the lip sync problem on a sattelite system. I am also glad to hear I am not imagining this problem.

Thanks

9. Steve_Cohen

Well, I replaced the box. The pixelation on the HD channels is gone but the lip sync problem is still there but as Matt sait it is hit or miss. I guess I will live with it.

Also, On-Demand is cool. I thought all on-demand was an extra charge. Actually most of the on-demand is free. The only on-demand charges are for the new movies. All HBO & SHO on-demand stuff is free. It is nice to rewatch the Soprano's episodes from last season whenever you want.