Weird 'color bar' on 40H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Hoffman, May 28, 2001.

1. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how else to describe it, but I just recently noticed a 6" color strip going from yellow-red-blue-green on the very top right of my TV. I'm positive that it wasn't there yesterday (I've had the TV for almost a month) because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have missed it. The width is only about 1/4." Is it possible that it's some sort of test pattern and the geometry is off so that a top part of the picture is showing that should be cut off instead? That was my first guess anyway. Thanks,
    Rob

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Have you lined the inside of the set with Duvetyne or another light absorbing fabric? If something gets in the way of the gun(s) it will split the light somewhat like you describe. This happened to me a little while ago when the Duvetyne peeled away in one area. Is there anything else inside the set that could be obscuring a portion of the screen or guns? The only other thing I can think of is some wild convergence error. Try going into the service convergence screen and see if the same artifact shows up. To get there:
    • Turn TV ON
    • Press MUTE on remote
    • Press and hold MUTE on remote
    • Press MENU on TV front panel (an 'S' should appear in upper right corner of screen)
    • Press MENU again (a four letter code will appear at the top left)
    • Press 7 on the remote to enter convergence grid
    • Press 7 again (twice) to exit grid
    • Turn OFF to exit service mode
    If you have never used service mode before don't touch anything other than the buttons I indicated. Alternatively you can just enter the user convergence mode from the menu.
    If the convergence is way off then do a search here or at Errol's HDTV for instructions on how to adjust service convergence.
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Robert Hoffman

I've never opened up the TV so I'm not sure if there is some sort of artifact interfering with the path of the light. As a side, I did comment earlier that there is a red hue on the right side of the screen that is most evident when a DVD displays a black screen. I don't have the service manual yet so I haven't done the full convergence. One thing I can't seem to get a handle on yet is if you want to do a full convergence, do you need to use a convergence grid? Or is that for only if you want to establish your own cross-hairs rather than the ones displayed?
    I just checked a couple other things, no matter which picture size setting is used (full, theaterwide, normal) the 'color bar' appears in the same place. In normal mode, part of the grey bar is overlapped by the colors. Playing a DVD over normal TV makes no difference.
    Thanks for any help you can give,
    Rob

4. Robert Hoffman

After this, I swear I'll stop replying to my own posts [​IMG]
    I just did the normal user convergence, now the line has streched out by about 2". Strange....