Weird attatchment problem with Outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

OK, this is a weird one.

Send a mail with Outlook 2000 and include a graphic file attatchment (New Mail, then Add File within the composition box). It gets to the recipient address OK but the attatchment is uselss and shows itself as a ".dat" file.

If I right-click on the graphic file itself and do a 'Send To....Mail Recipient' (which opens a mail composition window with file already attatched) it gets there perfectly OK.

This has only recently started happening. I tried doing a 'Detect & Repair' but it didn't fix the problem. Short of reinstalling Outlook, does anyone have any ideas? I don't seem to have a problem with anything else.

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

I had this happen before. It turned out that I was using Outlook and the person receiving the mail was using Netscape. For some reason, it would show up as a .dat file. Other than that, the file was not altered. If you change the .dat extention to the correct extention, say .jpg if it was a picture, it would open and display correctly. When this was a occuring, I was using Office 2000. Since I upgraded to Office XP, I haven't noticed a problem. This was my experience with it. It may be something different altogether, but it's worth a shot. Good luck in fixing the problem.

Jeff

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm sending the mail from and to myself as a test. I've also tried sending images to ther Outlook users and have had the same results.