What's new

Weinstein Company signs exclusive rental deal with Blockbuster. BAD IDEA. (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I think what makes the Netflix "exclusives" actually exclusive is that they're not for sale - only rent (there might be exceptions). That way, other stores can't buy the DVDs and rent them out.

With the Blockbuster/Weinstein deal, it's not truly exclusive because the DVDs will still be for sale - meaning any video store can buy the DVDs and put them out for rent. I imagine Netflix will get the DVDs anyway - it will just cost them way more per disc than they usually pay for new release titles. My prediction: they won't stock heavily on Weinstein titles and we'll get Long Waits.

What puzzles me is how BB and Weinstein word this. They are outright lying by saying that these films will be available exclusively for rental at Blockbuster.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
My biggest fear here is the possibility the Weinstein's would also try to have their movies for sale exclusively at certain outlets. The retail exclusive bonus thing is already getting out of hand.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I guess the Weinstein's will be out my money. If I don't see it in the theater, I'll probably never see it. It would take something pretty dramatic to get me back in a Blockbuster and at the moment, I can think of nothing that would get me there. I've had far too many run-ins with employees at their stores, while I've had ZERO at others. If I were to list my other personal and political objections to Blockbuster and their business policies, I would probably be removed from this site, so it's suffice to say that my money will stay in my pocket. I love it when businessmen decide to not sell their product to me, especially since my ability to budget has been very poor recently.

Thanks to the Weinsteins, I'll be able to eat again. :frowning:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I had found this:

But apparently that only applies to sound recordings and computer software, not video. (But the digital nature of CDs and software media were the impetus for that -- presumably, the same arguments could be applied to DVDs.)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

I heard this about a month ago, but when I checked Blockbusters website there was NOTHING about this apparently major selling point. I chalked it down to a nonsense rumor, time to see if this is true again. If so I'm switching from netflix, Blockbusters recommendations are worthless but at least they never throttled me for renting 8 titles a month on a two out plan so that I instead got 4-6 titles a month.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got an email from Blockbuster about that new swap-'em-in-store feature sometime in the past week or two.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
well now it's plastered ALL OVER their online page
I'm going to watch my three movies this weekend and cancel my account on monday. I'll save my queue though, because I've gotten a lot of reccomendations from netflix I don't want to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks