What's new

Weight training--anyone into it around here? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Since there are many different topics posted on the after hours lounge, I decided to give this one a shot. Is there anyone who is into bodybuilding at any level? Tell us where you go to workout, what some of your favorite exercises are, and some tricks of the trade. Thanks.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Hi Shawn this is a very broad topic to say the least. I've been lifting for about 10 yrs now(I'm 24)and have done personal training. I have had memberships to Bally's,Golds,currently at Worlds, and may be switching very soon to a new lifestyles that is opening next to me. So you want to know some tricks of the trade huh lol..well ok here are a few helpful tips.....

Best thing i can tell you are if you are new and looking to get into it try to get friend who knows somewhat what they are doing so you can learn proper form and get into a routine. Start off slow and slowly work your way up. I find beginners tend to start off and hit it so hard they burn out really quick when they realize they aren't going to get results(get huge)overnight. Try not to fall into the "steroids" trap and like products...you would be surprised how many people do them at your everyday gyms.

Lets see favorite movements
1. Legs-Squats,hacks,,extensions,leg presses,calf raises
2. Chest-Flat,Incline,Decline bench for varying with dumb bells and bars. Also pec decks,cable crossovers,pushups,dips
3. Back-Wide grip pullups,bent over rows using dumbells or straight bar,lat pulldowns,1 arm rows
4. Shoulders-Military presses,dumbell front and side raises,shrugs,upright rows
5. Biceps-ez curl bar,dumbell curls,preacher curls,wide grip straight bar curls,negatives
6. Triceps-overhead dumbell press,skullcrushers,kickbacks,bar or rope tricep extensions,dips or pushups

Remember to eat well as diet is VERY important as far as getting results. Try to throw is some cardio and abs in there also.

Hope that helps :)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Shawn- I am a beginning bodybuilder that was introduced to the lifestyle via the Body For Life program. Been weight training for about 8 months now. I am currently on a second run-through of the program and my ultimate goal is 10% bodyfat. I am planning on creating a more advanced weight lifting program for myself this summer.

Since getting into weight-training and following the BFL program consistently, I have lost 57 lbs. -- from 274 down to 217. I still have a fair amount of bodyfat (I need to purchase calipers so I can actually take bodyfat% measurements).

If you're new and are planning on getting into it, I highly recommend visiting Bodybuilding.com and learning the basics of working out, nutrition, supplements (they really aren't necessary if you are providing your body with the ample nutrition it needs), and how the mind is involved in your progress. The articles there will help out tremendously. Also, I recommend heeding Jarrett's advice. Especially about starting out slow and working up.

Another piece of important advice is: don't think that you need to train for hours on end in the gym to get results. You can train for as little as 45 minutes to an hour using varying intensity of increasing weights while moving from set to set. This is called pyramiding and is an integral part of the BFL program. It has provided excellent results for me in a rather short time.

One last piece of important advice: proper nutrition is absolutely ESSENTIAL to creating the body you want. It is said in the world of bodybuilding that 80% of your effort in creating a great body is done in the kitchen, and only 20% of that effort is done in the gym. You can't expect to get a superior physique while working out and then going to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday.

Hopefully the above advice will help you out. Good luck in your ambitions for creating a better body! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I have been lifting for about 7 years consistantly for fun at L.A. Fitness, but the last year has been terrible. Completely undisaplined.

The trick of the trade is Diet which I agree is 80% and also, less is more with sets and reps.

DIET: A clean low fat diet is what will get you to look lean and cut, not high reps. I looked my most defined when I was doin 3 sets of 4-6 reps per exercise while on a clean strict diet.

LIFTING: I agree 45 minutes in the gym is plenty if you are disiplined and structured. Also, you only need to work a body part a week and only do about 2-5 exercises per body part. So many people do WAY too many sets and reps and exercises that they just don't need and are just overtraining.

Supplements are ESSENTIAL once you have been lifting for a few months, diet is great but there is just no way a person can consume enough protein the muscles need a day by eating solid food. At 150 pounds I need at least 150 grams of protein but probably more like 1.5-2 times my weight, so I would take in about 250-300 grams of protein.

I love incline dumbell bench press. At my peak I weighed about 155-160 and was using 85lb dumbells for incline; it was sweet b/c I wasn't that big but those dumbells had some nice size and it was pretty badass getting underneath them and getting 4-6 reps.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I've been workin out since august had have seen pretty good results.

I have a SUPER HIGH metabolism, so it was impossible for me to gain any significant amount of weight. So i since i started, i've gained like 10, 12 pounds. Doesnt seem like much, but for me it is. After each workout i top it off with a protein shake. Im finally not skinny as a toothpick :D

I like doing supersets whenever i go to the gym, (whcih is about twice, sometimes three times a week) where i focus on one muscle group the whole time. Earlier i worked my chest, now im workin on my arms. Tri's and Delt's specifically.

Iunno, i just started, so im not in a position to give any tricks of the trade :p)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Jarrett pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as advice. I was going to say more or less the same thing. I ran a gym for about 6 months, and have been working out seriously for about 2 or 3 years, but I have been lifting since high school, so about 9 or 10 years total.

My only tips are really for beginners. As someone said, don't go in there expecting to see a change over night, or to try to do some ungodly weight just so you don't look like a wimp.

And also vary things up if you start getting burnt out. Id you did flat bench press the last two weeks, do flat dumbbell presses this week, things like that.

The most important thing to remember is that it doesn't matter how much weight you throw around, it only matters how you look.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
I have been lifting weights now off and on (mostly on) for 20 years. I do not know if it has been mentioned, but most serious body builders work out at least 4 days a week and each body part (chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, legs) twice a week. The key to longevity is no different from any other physical fitness activity: proper equipment/facilities, proper training, proper attitude and proper diet. One must listen to one's body to avoid injuries and burnout. I have outlasted so many workout partners who quit due to either injuries or burnout. If you feel an injury or burnout coming on, sometimes it is better to rest than to try to work throught it.

It is paramount to belong to a fitness club that fits within your budget, has modern and plentiful equipment, is a place where you feel comfortable working out, and is located within close proximity to either work or home. Body building is a commitment that is very time consuming and must be incorporated into a daily routine. I have worked out at Ohio State, YMCA, Gold Gym, Scandinavian, Bally's, World Gym and California Fitness. I liked World Gym and California Fitness the best.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I start my new job tomorrow and I'm hoping the hours will be such that I can get a membership with one of the fitness clubs in Conway (about 15 minutes away).

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I've been lifting for a little over 2 years. I have a very different body type (I'm guessing) than many of the people who have posted so far, and many of the people in my gym.

When I started out I weight 130 soaking wet. I could only bench press 85 pounds.

After a bit over 2 years of working out, I'm weighing 142. I now bench about 170.

It's really tough for me to gain weight. I'm very cut, and have *very* little body fat (between 6-8%).

What I'm trying to say is that not everyone gets huge when they lift. I've really tried, but I've come to realize that it's just not in my genetics. I've gotten much stronger, and put on weight, but by no means do I have that "ripped" look that many guys try for.

So work out hard, eat right, and have fun. But don't let the magazines and other guys in the gym dictate what your goals should be. Everyone has a different body, and to me weight training is about maximizing your potential, not fitting into a stereotype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks