Weight Loss Success Story! =)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I've been working on losing weight since early September. Back then I weighed 274 (I hated weighing that much -- always felt sluggish and semi-energized). Now, I am down to 247.5. How did I do it? Mostly by watching what I eat (no calorie counting) and not eating as much as I used to. I've started exercising a little and plan on working more exercise into my schedule pretty soon.
    Overall I feel much better when I exercise, sleep, and do other physical activities. There is a noticeable increase in my energy and I don't get as tired after work anymore. Man, it feels great to finally lose this weight. I haven't weighed this low for at least two years! Can't wait until I finally reach a slim/athletic 200 lbs!! [​IMG]
    EDIT: And no, I haven't used any fad diets or any of the infomercial-based 'weight loss' kits! [​IMG]

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Congrats! That's awesome! [​IMG]
    What foods did you specifically cut down on? McDonalds? Or Soda/Pop?

3. Brian Harnish

Both. I'm eating healthier (more salads and fruits than fast food). No double hamburgers or supersize fries anymore -- and charbroiled chicken sandwiches at fast food joints where possible. Keeping sodas at a minimum of two per day (three if I have the desire to go to three). The rest of the time I drink juice or water. It was a little difficult at first but I find that my desire to be healthy now overrides the desire for crap food the majority of the time.
    Is it really worth the invested time and effort to lose weight like this? A few months ago, I probably would have scoffed at doing anything remotely similar to this. But what about after my accomplishment? I say HECK YEAH!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This time last year I tipped the scales at just over 160 and when I visited my family for the holidays my mom told me I looked fat [​IMG] At the time my two largest sources of calories were fast food and hard liquor and by cutting back on those I was able to both lose about 30 pounds and increase my checking account balance. If only I would have thought to take some before and after photos and film my own late night infomercial I could have filled the gap between shoppers deciding between Carlton Sheets and Don Lupre.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Great Brian. I was down about 15 pounds doing just what you are.

I've since gotten lazy again ..... damn.

It's the craving that kill you?? I know they do me !!

Brent L

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

That's awsome Brian! Stay with the food and ramp up the exercise, especially aerobic exercise, and you'll see that number drop even more. I did something similar this past summer (watched what I ate and exercised tons) to drop from 210 to 176. In my case, I had a specific goal, I was training for an 86 mile rollerblading marathon so I was exercising tons. Having a goal definitely helps.

One thing that I've read is that exercising first thing in the morning, before eating any food, has been shown to burn quite a bit more fat than normal. The explanation there is that your body's sugar supplies have been drained overnight, so when you go to exercise it comes from your fat reserves. I myself have a hard enough time getting out of bed to go to work, so I never got to trying that myself!

Andrej

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Brian, congrats! I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Lost about 40 lbs. That was probably too much as I'm 5'9'' and got down to about 135lbs (me mum yelled at me and told me to put some of it back on). [​IMG] I found simply walking for 45-60 minutes in the morning is a great way to exercise - if you've got a doggie, it'll love ya for it!

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

WOW,thats great to hear.I was always heavy then my mom met a new guy,married him and I slimmed down real fast.THen I got psoriasis and on steroids,blew up like a balloon again and never lost all the weight.

Now,my dr. thinks I have a thyroid probelem and is doing blood work to see whats up.I usually eat cereal in the am. a light lunch,if any and dinner.We probably walk a total of 2 hours a day,not counting walking around the house and stuff.

So hopfully we can figure out whats wrong with me this time..

9. David McKean

David McKean Auditioning

I'll go ahead and share my story. I was 255 lbs in May and now I'm 165 lbs. I did it by eating one meal a day. I also have exercised some. Now I'm back to eating my normal 2 meals a day and my weight has stablized. I had always been heavy, so this is still a big change for me. My clothes fit me way different. And I look so much thinner in the face. Its just wierd.

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Congratulations, Brian. You're going about it the right way, and you deserve to be pleased.

My wife & I are doing the same thing - eating a lot less, eating /better/ & working out. We're not on miracle diets, we're not going over the top, we're just being moderate & sensible. We both slacked off on the gym visits in the past couple of weeks (my parents have been in town), but we're attempting to get back into the pattern we've developed. I've lost about 25 pounds, and my wife's done better than that. It's hard work, but it's worth it.

A few of our friends are on whatever the latest fad is, it's advertised extensively on Dallas radio. They're not losing anywhere near what they expected (suprise, suprise!) and it costs a good chunk more than our monthly gym fee.

Instead, we're losing more than them weight wise (and it's staying off!!) just by *not* picking burger & fries - go for the grilled chicken & salad instead, *not* getting the huge portions of rich food when we're out for dinner, *not* getting desserts, getting a medium popcorn & sharing it at the cinema, diet soda instead of regular, etc.

"Skinny Cow" ice cream sandwiches are *real* good for snacking on we've found... It's hard. I find if I drink beer at all, I feel bagged up & heavy weight wise now... But it's worth it - tons more energy.

12. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

WOW! I am really happy for you! I've been working on losing weight myself, but haven't seen the results so many of you are reporting. still, I hope to get better!
    congrats again!!! [​IMG]

13. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Glad to see there are others here on the "common-sense" weight loss approach.

Brian,

By rough estimates it looks like you've lost about 2 lbs. per week (26.5 lbs in 12 or 13 weeks). That's the right way to do it! Fad diets where you drop 10-15 lbs in 2 weeks don't last and are unhealthy. Losing 1-2 lbs per week is a more realistic approach. It takes a while but it's a healthier, more common-sensible way. Just reading your post I can "hear" your sense of accomplishment. Keep it up!

I started a few weeks ago. I looked on the calendar and figured out that it was 30 weeks to Memorial Day which to me is the start of summer and traditionally the weekend I open my pool. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by Memorial day using the same method (watching what I eat more carefully, increasing excercise, drinking more water, etc.) So far I'm down 5 lbs in 5 weeks and it hasn't been that difficult. I know there'll be weeks where I wont lose anything (maybe even gain 1 or 2 back) but I'm looking at the big picture. Just got to stay consistent!

14. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I did the exact same thing this year during late summer/early fall.
    I lost 30 lbs (225 --> 195) in about 10 weeks primarily by cutting calories and riding about 35 miles a week. I've always eaten fairly healthy (dairy/seafood/veggies only), but too much fast food and dairy products caused me to slowly swell to 225. The main impetus was that my 36" pants were getting tight around the waist, and I was NOT going to graduate to 38".
    Losing the weight was fairly easy. Just like any other addiction, you have to have willpower.

15. Brian Harnish

Thanks to everyone for the support and additional information on their experiences. It feels great to finally be on the side of the success rather than just reading about success! Now all I gotta do is get back into weight lifting. I've been wanting to getting back into it again after a three-year absence. [​IMG]
    And congratulations to all those that have lost weight. To those that haven't started to lose significant weight, yet: I guarantee that if you keep at it, you will be VERY pleased with the results! Just keep going! It's hard (I can personally attest to that), but the results are well worth the effort. [​IMG]