Weight Loss Question: For those in the know :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 25, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

As I mentioned before, I can't wait to get to our newly refurbished shore house this summer. One of the reasons being, is that I'm usually in a happier mood when I'm down there, and tend to eat about 70% less because there's just more to do.

But one of the main things I like to do, is ride my bike for a mile or two both ways around the area. Unlike where I am now, it's all flatlands down there, so I can go farther, for longer, compared to the hilly mess that is this area.

But does bike riding really help you loose wait? I couldn't last very long running, seeing as I'm a flatfoot, and I don't know how I would fare rollerblading since I've never tried it...

Any ideas?

2. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Sure, biking will do it. So will rollerblading (my activity of choice). Anything that gets your heart pumping some will. But it alone won't do the trick, you do have to watch what you eat as well.

Andrej

3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    A healthy diet and plenty of exercise will do the trick. Just remember...don't be discouraged if you don't see results immediately. Healthy weight loss takes time and patience.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What, hilly around Wyckoff???? Nahh, you need to go west towards West Milford, Greenwood Lake, Sussex county. May I suggest the Ramapo Rally that leaves from Ringwood State Park... The century goes over near my house and up to Mountain Creek in Vernon, before heading near Mt. Peters in NY State.
    I've biked through Wyckoff before, you've got some nice parks in your area, including a real nice one called:
    James A. McFaul Environment Center. I've had lunch there once at a picnic table.
    Anyway, to answer your question, anything that you enjoy while working the muscles will help you lose weight. Biking just happens to be a good way while usually less stressful on your joints and feet. Swimming is a better way for the joints, however it's harder to incorporate swimming in a pool since you obviously need a pool or a membership to a fitness club. Doing something you enjoy is important because it's easier to bike/walk/jog/skate longer if you actually enjoy it. And it's not the speed, its the duration too, no need to bike at 25mph, you'll lose more weight at 15mph cause you'll be able to bike happily longer.
    There is also a bike path in Ridgewood that runs like 9 or 10 miles on paved multi-use paths... Real popular with the walkers and strollers, but I'm told its a nice little path and flat too. It's by the Duck Pond on Ridgewood Avenue, I have a friend in Paramus who bikes there alot.
    P.S. I presume your shore house is in south Jersey, where the land is flat and the parks are sandy. [​IMG]
    Jay

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, Compared to Most areas of Paramus, my former hometown, we have lots of hills around here. And the shore is all flat for the most part.
    I drive past the bike riding trail every now and then whenever we go to Paramus Park or GSP. I've thought of taking a bike down there and just spend an hour or so riding back and forth, but didn't know how much of a pain that would be. Much easier to just stay down the shore for a month and ride a bike early morning on the boardwalk when I think they are allowed [​IMG].
    A ride from Ortley, down the length of the boardwalk, down as far as you can go to the blocked off beach limits and back is more than enough. That has to be, what, a 4 mile ride in itself?
    Although, how many miles is enough miles? The only drawback to riding down the shore is the wind. If the wind is going your way, it's fine. But if it's against ya, it can make it tougher if your not used to it...

6. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

As far as exercise goes, the main negative to bike riding is the ability to coast. Just sitting on the bike obviously doesn't burn any calories. Keep your legs moving most of the time and biking is great exercise.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You can always get a fixed gear, which means no freehub, kind of like a track bike. Also means there's no coasting! But coasting is actually good. When you are training to do races, one tends to do intervals, because in the long races, nobody is going all out all the time, not in a 100 mile stage in a stage race. So what people do is intervals, which is basically sprinting real hard for the first XX meters and then letting up and repeating, eventually doing longer intervals at a higher speed, thus building up endurance and speed. I believe runners do this too. In that regards, sometimes coasting is not a problem.
    Jay
    Preparing for a wet ride home today..[​IMG]

8. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Mmm, interval training. Feel the PAIN!

Andrej

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Ok, here is some simple advice.

- Increase your protein and lower your carbs. No junk food(chips, sodas,etc.) Eat more vegies and fruits for your carbs and chicken/tuna/etc for your protein. And needless to say, watch your fat intake...but if you eat healthily you won't need to worry about fat at all. Eat about 4-5 meals per day instead of three big ones. Never skip breakfast...

- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Sometimes when

you think you're hungry the extrawater will help curb your food intake.

- Exercise 3-4 times per week, preferably first thing in the morning whilst on an empty stomach. If you eat first the body will simply tax the food for energy instead of calories that are stored as fat.

- You can do ANY excercise as long as you keep your heart beat at a constant 60-80% of it's max for 35-45 minutes. And you DON'T need to be all winded and sweaty to think that you're excercising! To work out your target heart rate subtract your age from 220 and work out the upper and lower %'s. Studies show that if you stay towards the lower end of your target (ie. 60%) you will burn more fat. Go above your target and you will be working on cardiovascular fitness instead of burning fat. To keep track of your heart rate purchase a heart rate monitor...these can be had for as little as $40 nowadays. Or if you go to a gym they may have equipment with onboard heart monitors.

- As a last resort, try one of the supplements out there like Xenadrine or Hydroxycut. They are known to suppress the appetite and increase your metabolism.

I'm trying to drop an inch or two from around the midsection meself. Good luck!