What's new

Weight considerations... (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Hello all,
Well, with BB's 24 months of no interest, it looks like I may have the green light to upgrade the 27" no frills TV. I will be putting it on a homemade entertainment center consisting of 5/8" thick wood approximately 6' wide and 2' tall with 4 up and down 5/8" up/down supports. It holds my 27" fine, but was wondering with the added weight of something bigger, would it hold? Right now Im looking at either a 36" flat screen tube or a 46" widescreen projection unit. Im assuming the tube would be heavier, but Im not 100% positive. What do you guys think would be heavier?

Phil

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Nevermind, found the weight specs on BB's web site. Tubes are heavier for the most part.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Which weighs more, you or your set? Try sitting on the shelf to see if it holds up.

When you say you have four vertical supports, does that include the sides? If so, that would leave just two supports for the 6' length, which means you have 24" between supports, and that wouldn't be enough to make me feel confident about putting a $1500-or-so set on it. Four supports PLUS the sides would be more reassuring.

If you go with a projection unit, it'll sit on the floor anyway, so the issue goes away (to be replaced with "What do I do with my entertainment unit?").

Good luck!

Jan

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Jan,

I actually thought of sitting on the entertainment center to see if it supports me. Im around 175lbs and would probably give it a good test. The supports are only 4 total including sides, plus, it holds all of my audio equipment, so not only would my $1,500 tv come crashing down if it doesnt hold, but all of my equipment would get smashed. Not a pleasant thought. The projection units I was thinking of getting are the ones that require a stand, and I would just not get the stand. Still, I hate to chance it if its not gonna hold. I feel some tests upcoming.

Philip

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I built an opening in the wall of our bedroom about 5 1/2 ft off the ground.
I had to rent a lift to get a 32 flat screen up there. Denver dont have quakes but I would still attach it to the wall since all the weight is up front!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks