Wega XBR-450 : 32 in. vs 36in. - Why do all 32 inchers have bad color purity problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Nov 22, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Just an observation I made. I had two 32 XBR-450's delivered and both had vertical, green bars running on the sides of the screen. Thinking I just got unlucky I decided to test a few out at various retail stores and was surprised to find that ALL of the 32 inch models had similar "bars" on them but EVERY 36 inch set I looked at was clear of this defect and, at most, had the edges of the screen showing just a slight brightness difference, which is totally expected and acceptable. Could it be that the quality control from Sony is better for their larger, more expensive set, or is it easier to mimize purity problems on a larger screen ( should be the reverse, I know)??
    Does anyone have any ideas on this???
    p.s. The obvious advice would be to just get one of the 36 inch sets and I would, except my stairwell is perilous and the set (in box) barely squeezes through my doorway while in a 32 inch set box[​IMG] Damn!!!!!

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

LOL
    I guess nobody else has made the same observation.[​IMG]

3. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

My 32XBR450 has none of those problems. In fact, it has no problems at all. Maybe the store from which you bought your 32 got a bad batch?

-Erik

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Erik,

In total I checked 4 stores and all 32 inchers had the color purity problem in different degrees. The 36 inch models did not. Weird.

Did you put a 100 IRE screen on to see how the color uniformity was?? I used Avia to test these.

5. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    When I first got my 36" Wega (250 model), on some DVD's (only in component video) green or red horizontal bands would consistenly appear (for the same image). It turned out there was an incorrect setting in the service menu - for horizontal oscillation, I believe. Once that was adjusted everything played fine.

Mine was not the only Wega to exhibit this problem. Note that it was only with component signals. You didn't see it with S-Video.

Perhaps this is the same or similar situation. If you know how, try adjusting either horizontal or vertical oscillation and see it if fixes it.

6. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

when i change the hosc to 11 to fix the problem, the picture on my tv shifts quite a bit downward. is this normal?

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Are these green bars thick or thin?
    I have the feeling that, if the last phosphor stripe at the extreme left or right of the screen is green, the picture will seem to have a very thin green edge during bright scenes, if it is red, the picture will seem to have a thin red border, etc. One of the three colors has to be last. This effect may be more noticeable to people who wear eyeglasses.
    Usually the phosphor stripes are a bit wider at the sides compared with the center of the screen. A typical dot pitch (all three stripes) for a large screen is around 0.8mm for the center. I suppose this discolored edge effect could be lessened by making the last stripe half width.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm