WEGA uneven brightness fix update. Sears

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Jul 18, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

For those interested, I had a Sears tech come out to my house today regarding the uneven brightness problem. He called into Sears' central support line, and they told him to adjust SBRT (which I had already done). When he was done it didn't look much better. He ordered the part # mentioned on the "Keohi" website, and will come back to fix it in ten days. Sears will send the part directly to me. Evidently Sears central support is aware of this problem and the associated fix. Overall I am very happy with Sears customer service. I didn't purchase the in-home warranty or extended warranty, but they still came out to my house to service the TV. I doubt Best Buy or Circuit City would be doing that. Sears will defintely keep my business in the future for major purchases.

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Glad to see Sears is handling it. I bought my set from them as well. What model do you have? What was the value for SBRT before and after adjustment? Thanks.

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

When I bought the set SBRT was set at 6. I changed it to 2, which didn't make much of a difference. Before the tech came out I changed it back to 6. The service guy at "Sears central" told the tech to actually increase SBRT to 12! After he did this I lowered the regular black level using AVIA. The higher SBRT resulted in about the same amount of "uneven" brightness as a low setting of 2, which was a little better than 6.

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I have the new XBR-450 and the factory setting is 21!!

5. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I thought I'd give an update.
    The Sears tech came out yesterday, and replaced "the coil". After he was finished, and I played some familiar material, I came to the conclusion that there wasn't any improvement.
    I'm leaning towards replacing the set. I think it's ridiculous that Sony is aware of this problem, but continues to produce defective TVs. I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars more and get an HDTV-ready TV (Pany 47" or the new Sony 43"). I expect more for almost $1500.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Kevin,
    My XBR-450 exhibits almost no uneven brightness. I've heard others comment that this model was very good with regards to this problem. You might want to consider this set if you want to stick with Sony.

7. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Jason, It's obviously hard to compare sets when we can only see the ones we own, but I'm wondering, how often do you notice the problem. I only notice it in very dark scenes (the opening sequence of the Sixth Sense is a good example), but it is quite annoying. I think I notice it at some point during every movie I watch. Thanks.

8. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

I also have the 450 and haven't noticed any brightness problem. So if they have fixed it in the new models, I wonder why they can't release a fix for the older ones?

9. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

The 450 is the 2000 model, right? I have the FS13, which is the 2001 model. And it's still bad.

10. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

I bought my 36xbr250 from Circuit City early last year and had the uneven brightness. They exchanged it the next week. The second set was better but I decided to buy the three year in home service contract, which I don't normally do. I glad I did. Either the set is getting worse or I'm just noticing the problems more.
    Their service guy came out 2-3 weeks ago. He said the brightness was fixable, he'd seen it before. He turned the SBRT down to 6 from 9 (I know this isn't a real fix but didn't say anything at this point). He said there is a part that needs to be replaced (the coil). There was also some wavyness to the picture that I mostly notice on menues but also while veiwing the right material.
    The day before he was to come back he called to say there was another part he needed to replace but was not in yet. He has been at least checking into the problem. So on 7/28/01 he came to install the new parts. I asked if this would fix the brightness issue. "Oh yes, no more trouble."
    Since I could check it during daylight hours I just crossed my fingers. Well it problem is still there. Just like I figured. The other part he replaced did not help the wavyness. He could see this so he said he will do more research and come back next week.
    I think after that if the problems are not fixed, it is time to ask about a replacement set per their extended warrenty. What do you all think.
    ------------------
    Tony

11. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Tony, if they are willing to replace it go for it. I'm convinced "the fix" of the uneven brightness problem doesn't correct anything. Tony, are you saying the problem has been getting worse with time. If so, that may be the last nail in the coffin for my WEGA.

12. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I have had my HD ready XBR400 since April of this year and no uneven brightness problem here. Seems like maybe it's not model year so much as the XBR's being a bit better than the other models in this respect.
    Randy

13. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Kevin,
    I had two previous FS model wegas and both had pretty noticeable uneven brightness problems. The one and only XBR-450 I tried (and bought) has almost no noticeable uneven brightness so far. I'm looking for a way to make blacks a litle deeper on the set overall but that's it. The two FS models I had had some other noticeable problems as well. The higher-end XBR is probably of better quality even with the factory set-ups, as Randy suggested. I'll watch pitch black and let you know if I see anything (this movie showed it bad on my previous FS sets in certain scenes).

14. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The XBR 400 line has it much less than the FS & KV lines and the XBR450 have almost eliminated it. It's still there, but barely and you have to really look to see it and then, only during very dark scenes.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

15. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

Kevin,
    I'm not sure if it is getting worse. It just seems to be more noticable now. When I exchanged the first set, this one seemed much better. So after a year of hoping someone would find a fix for the problem, maybe it just bothers me more. Anyway, since thet were looking at the set, I decided to get all my concerns addressed. And I figure that three times out to my house is patient enough for the same problem. Hopefully they will see it this way too.

16. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

I have a 36fv15 and didn't notice the uneven brightness at all out of the box. It was only once I started to tweak the set in that I've noticed it (and yep, I've noticed that is APPEARS to be getting worse if I view a BLACK SCREEN, so MAYBE it is getting worse over time, or MAYBE it's a placebo effect, or MAYBE I've tweaked something that I shouldn't have?). Either way, it doesn't bother me, as I've only noticed it once while watching material, and even then I had to look for it.

17. Matt_Stevens

Some of the KV's have it less. It's odd. If it's bad, once you see it, you'll never not see it. And it IS getting worse on mine. Friends have noticed this. Not just me.
    The better your set is calibrated, the clearer the problem is. The Torch mode settings help mask it.
    ------------------

18. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

I'm going to be purchasing the 32FV27 soon, does this model have the same problem? I didnt notice it while looking at it in Sears.

19. Matt_Stevens

It's known to have it in varying degrees. What you need to do is hook up a DVD player to set via S-Video. Make sure the Player is set to 16x9 (anamorphic). Then put in a 2.35:1 film that has dark scenes (T2, Crouching Tiger) and watch those scenes.
    Since 2.35:1 films have small black bars encoded into them, they will be brighter than the bars added by the set when it squeezes. If the encoded black bars go from dark (left side) to brighter (right side), there ya go.
    Just remember, each set has varying degrees of this flaw, so the floor model could be just fine. The KV16 floor model I looked at back in September of 2000 was a-OK. The model delivered to me was not.
    ------------------

20. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

Does the test need to be done only with s-video or would component get the same results?