Wega setup questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john Cameron, Oct 9, 2001.

1. john Cameron

john Cameron Auditioning

Just got my Sony Hi-Scan 1081i Wega KV-32HS20 delivered. I'm finding the manual rather lacking in information. So I have a few questions.
    1. I have a JVC progressive scan DVD player. Are there any special settings I need to set on the DVD to utilize the progressive scan mode? The Wega has DRC line doubler.. should I leave this feature "off" if using the progressive scan DVD player?
    2. To utilize the auto 16:9 enhanced mode (V-compression), do I tell my DVD player that I have a 16:9 (Widescreen) TV?
    This seems to work on most anamorphic disks I tried,but others, like X-men, the Wega doesn't seem to recognize the mode, and displays the movie in the incorrect aspect ration (1.85 versus 2.25).
    3. Is it best to leave all the picture "modes" (i.e. Vivid, Movie, Warm, etc.) at the "neutral" setting?
    Thanks!

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

John,
    The DRC on the sony can't be turned off. It is, however, bypassed when you output a progressive signal from your dvd player. You have to set your dvd player to output an interlaced signal if you want the auto squeeze to work. If you feed the set a progressive signal you'll have to manually set the squeeze feature.
    Your DVD player should be set to 16x9 mode.
    As far as color temperature goes, warm mode is closest to NTSC standard, but if you prefer a cooler temperature setting that is up to you and your tastes.
    Hope that helps.

3. john Cameron

john Cameron Auditioning

Seems a shame I can't use the auto vertical squeeze if I want to use the DVD Players Progressive scan mode [​IMG]

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

it sounds like a remote with macro capabilities is called for...