What's new

WEGA sets...why so heavy? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Can anyone explain why the WEGA sets are so much heavier than any other sets of comparable size? When I got rid of my old 32" (a Phillips) I walked out the door with it by myself. I've had my 32" WEGA set since the spring and we almost got hernias bringing it in the house. And sometimes I look down at my TV stand to make sure there's no wood splitting on it.
wink.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
to make the picture tube flat but maintain it's strength it has to be significantly thicker. lots more glass equals lots more weight.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Tim_Mc

Auditioning
Yeah, I think the glass is about 1 1/2" thick or something. My Parents have one and it is a heavy bastard.

Jason Price

Second Unit
I hear ya, Michael. Got my Panasonic 36HX41 (also flat screen) today and the thing weighs almost 250lbs. Won't be moving that by myself anytime soon... :)
------------------
-Jason
If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Sony has been developing gravity plating for the Japanese deep space program. Must be using the same technology in the WEGA's

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Yes, it's definitely not just the Wega's. Any of the flat screens are very heavy. I had to call a friend over to help me carry my 32" Tau upstairs because it was just too heavy for my wife to help me.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Of Course, we have all forgotten the real reason.
Sony implemented a new un-published security feature.
We wouldn't want a thief taking our beloved tv's now would we??
laugh.gif

------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And don't take those concerns about TV stands lightly. Before I got a robust Sony-authorized stand for my heavy WEGA, the original table it was on did start giving out--I could see the supporting dowls clearly as one of the legs began separating. You better bet I took care of the problem immediately.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
My Wega authorized stand is even showing signs of the weight. The bottom shelf (which rests on the floor) is bowing upward slightly.
------------------

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
The sales man told me they were filled with lead to counteract the radiation they put out.
------------------
Ben

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah he did. It was early this morning when I wrote this so I would like to clarify something it was the technician and not the salesman sorry.
------------------
Ben

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The sales man told me they were filled with lead to counteract the radiation they put out.
CRTs do have lead impregnated glass to reduce X-ray emissions, but that's not the reason for the WEGAs being so heavy. It's the amount of glass required to keep a flat faced CRT with a vacuum inside from imploding.
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks